Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live mid-state Wisconsin and we've got pictures of black bears now in our area. I'm wondering if a bear is likely to bother ao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live mid-state Wisconsin and we've got pictures of black bears now in our area. I'm wondering if a bear is likely to bother ao

I live mid-state Wisconsin and we've got pictures of black bears now in our area. I'm wondering if a bear is likely to bother aour black lab that we leave out overnight in our back yard. He is in a 20X15X5 ft fence.

I know wolves will eat domesticated dogs but I don’t think the bears will bother your lab. Black Bears normally don’t like noise however I don’t like leaving my German Shorthair out at night at all. I would be worrying about other critters caring dieses from parasites like heart worms to Parvovirus to rabies! I don’t know what it is, every lab I’ve had even with the Parvovirus vaccination died of it. What I understand, cats are one of the #1 carrier so they say.

Comment

Generally they won't bother dogs or people, we have black bears here in North Ga. I know a lady that owns a cabin in the middle of the national forest and her dog chases the black bears off all the time. It is of course a different story when they have cubs. Don't give the bears reason to come around if you can help it. Don't leave anything out that they would consider food. Don't through out you scraps and don't leave the dog's food out side. Things like this should keep the bears away from you house in general. All this being said they are bears and do eat meat so there is always a chance. You can't trust a black bear an inch. Jim shockie (I believe that is how he spells his name) wrote a great article on all the bears he has hunted over the years. The one thing he said about the black bear is never turn you back on them.

Comment

I think it's doubtful they'll come into the dogpen to bother him, but you never know, i'd keep a close eye on it. If there's no food in the wild for them, it's more likely.

Comment

I don't think they should, but if you wan to be extra safe you could take him inside. But I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I would take him inside at night, and keep exra food away, You shouldnt have a problem.

Comment

i wouldnt worry about it in the last 5 years we have had lots of bear show up around my house, but they have never bothered my dog.

Comment

Depends if the black bears have been seen in your area or close to your area. If so, than keep your dog inside just in case. Even though black bears are usually scared fromt he noise of dogs. I still would not leave it up to chance.

Comment

Agreed with FloridaHunter1226 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                    by franchi20
                    I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                    Today, 07:40 PM
                  • Debate #2: new rules
                    by FirstBubba
                    New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                    The "Biden Campaign"!...
                    10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                  • Reply to What's after Trump?
                    by franchi20
                    Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                    Today, 07:34 PM
                  • What's after Trump?
                    by FirstBubba
                    No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                    There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                    Today, 01:46 PM
                  • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                    by fitch270
                    The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                    Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X