Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About a year ago, or maybe more, F&S or OL had a good article about preparing a skull mount. That is preparing, cleaning and tr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About a year ago, or maybe more, F&S or OL had a good article about preparing a skull mount. That is preparing, cleaning and tr

About a year ago, or maybe more, F&S; or OL had a good article about preparing a skull mount. That is preparing, cleaning and treating the skull plate, jaw and of course antlers. I wish I had saved the story. Did you? Can I get it or another method of doing it?

I have done a couple deer skulls and one bear. It's kinda tough. Get an outdoor burner and boil it off OUTDOORS, after you've removed as much flesh as possible with a knife. I've tried soaking it in bleach, soda(acid), etc. Tried burrying 'em so the bugs would do my dirtywork, no such luck. After boiling it extensively, you need to use a knife and pliers to peel and pull off remaining flesh. This works better if you let it dry out, as the cooked flesh will become leathery. Any way i've tried it's been a dirty job. Best of luck

Comment

1. Skin the skull and remove all the meat you can. Remove eyes and lower jaw. Be careful not to make knife marks in the bone. Wrap the antler bases with aluminum foil to keep from discoloring them.
      2. With outdoor propane burner and large pot, bring enough water to boil to cover the head.
      3. Boil for several minutes. Keep an eye on the water to make sure it doesn't boil dry. Every 15 to 20 minutes take the skull out and pick off loosened up meat and cartilage. While the skull is out you can add water and it will get back to boiling while you pick the skull.
      4. Make sure you get all of the brain out. I use a wire hanger to just scramble it up and a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out what ever is left.
      5. After letting the cleaned skull air dry put it in a bucket with Hydrogen peroxide to whiten it. BE SURE THAT YOU KEEP THE FOIL ON THE ANTLERS.
      6. Once it is nice and white, (just a few minutes in my experience) rinse with water, remove the foil and hang it back up to dry.
      7. After it is nice and dry I once again wrap the antlers and spray some clear coat on the skull. It makes it shiny. Rednecks like shiny.

Comment

Jim, If I find the article I will let you know.

I find it easier to pick the remnants off the skull before it dries and hardens. You'll also need taxidermist strength H2O2 if you go that route. I've seen taxidermists cover the skull with a paste to whiten it but I don't know what the recipe is. Perhaps someone else knows. Seems like a great way to go rather than soaking or wiping in H2O2.

Comment

Dan Snowbarger gets his Hydrogen Peroxide from a beauty supply shop. It beats the heck out of bleach. gives the bone a nice off white color.

Comment

I think I know what article you were talking about. I will go look for it and tell you what issue it was in. Then you can search for it in the archives.

Comment

Sorry couldn't find it.

Comment

Jim, if you go to the Michigan United Conservation Club (mucc.org), they have a step by step guide for doing the job. Once you are at the main screen, go to the Michigan Out Of Doors page. Once there, click on the Mich out of door T.V. link (on the right, in the green box). On the next page, click on Skull Mount How To (also in the green box). Hope this helps!

Comment

Jim - wallofsam pointed it out - MUCC is where I saw the article, not in F&S.

Comment

It was in Field and Stream I think, Hope I still have the issue. I'll help you find it too.

Comment

Agreed with wallofsam answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad