Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a serving of Quaker instant grits with bacon this morning, and it was pretty good for something fixed up in 75 seconds in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a serving of Quaker instant grits with bacon this morning, and it was pretty good for something fixed up in 75 seconds in

I had a serving of Quaker instant grits with bacon this morning, and it was pretty good for something fixed up in 75 seconds in the microwave. Anybody agree? Opinions from south of the Mason Dixon line would be appreciated.

It's better than no grits at all y'all.

Comment

I have eaten grits most of my life, raised in Central FL (Lakeland G-d's Country).

Comment

75 seconds, huh? So, what do you do while you are waiting for the ham to fry to make the red-eye gravy? As Moishe says, "better than no grits a'tall", but not much better.

Comment

Good point crm, bless your heart (in the good sense of the phrase) that is a multi edged phrase down home as I am sure we all know.

Comment

The bacon was pre-cooked, so that only took 30 seconds in the microwave to re-heat. Some folks don't like to spend a lot of time fixing stuff in the kitchen.
            No time for ham and red-eye gravy. Guess you have to go to the Sack of Suds for that.

Comment

I add butter and hot water to the Walmart version of Quaker's butter grits. Mix it just like I would a wheelbarrow of concrete...
              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Gotta have the red eye gravy and some eggs with it 99!!

Comment

The real grits I grew up on were sifted out of the fresh ground corn meal and boiled slow in a cast iron pot with a spoon full of salt and a big pinch of black pepper. Then served with fresh heavy jersey cow cream and homemade jersey butter. The rooster bullits were provided by a dozen or so dominecker hens. The bacon was home raised, cured, and smoked. And yes nowadays I eat instant grits , but they do not taste like the real thing and I DO KNOW what the real thing tastes like! I was not raised on red eye gravy but we had cathead biscuits and gravy made with bacon drippings and fresh ground whole wheat flour. My wife of 38 years was picked in the first place for her good biscuits and we are still married because she has not lost her touch.

Comment

i do the oatmeal thing and i don't eat pork. oatmeal, eggs and biscuits. yum! has anyone on here tried beef bacon? if i can't have that, just give me trout or deer steaks!

Comment

put sugar, butter, and salt in ur grits and dip bacon in there. its the best thing u have ever. east tennessee.

Comment

It sounds like an out take from My Cousen Vinny.

Comment

I'm getting ready to smoke another batch of bacon tomorrow. Eight hours in the cold smoker with some apple chips turns ordinary bacon into something that reminds me of the bacon of my youth. Yes the wife and I like the convenience of instant grits. We make the real thing on days off when there is plenty time to cook. BTW Jimmy Dean sausage is about the best and leanest I can find. Just take it and add some extra sage and red pepper to make it just right.

Comment

sounds good. my breakfast, especially early morning deer season, consist of mountain dew and some type of lunch meat. lol

Comment

Grits&Eggs, Biscuit&Gravy-the two all time best southern breakfasts and hunter's delight. Of course it all means nothing without a decent cup of joe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad