Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on if I should use scent attractants on the first day of rifle season on public land. Details will be in the first answ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on if I should use scent attractants on the first day of rifle season on public land. Details will be in the first answ

Question on if I should use scent attractants on the first day of rifle season on public land. Details will be in the first answer.

Rifle season starts Saturday here in Va. I can only hunt the morning, since I am obliged to work in the afternoon. I've never used any sort of a scent attractant, but I'm thinking of trying one out on public land. That said, I won't be able to walk anywhere too far in there in the dark, so I'll be set up in what will probably be a high-traffic area for hunters who show up after first light. I'm still debating different places to sit, but it'll either be in a riverbottom or in the hills along one. Deer numbers are good, for public land, on this tract, and I'm only allowed to shoot a buck on opening day.

Comment

I would definetly use a sent attractant. doe in heat or any doe scent personally for me. If you go to codebluescents.com. they have a electronic scent warmer that you might be able to find at a local sporting goods store it will make the scent work 10 times better have a great hunt

Comment

I would definetly bring out some scents & a couple calls; grunt tube, rattling bag. From the sounds of it you're going to be in the general area of other hunters..If you can hike in just a little further where you think the majority of the hunters will stop, & come first light when they come stomping through, they'll push the deer back to where you're at. I'll be out on public land at some point this weekend & this is the strategy I'm using.

If you can, get into the woods a mile or so down the road from the "parking areas" & you won't have to hike as far in.

Comment

Thank you both for your advice.

LakeMonster, I'm definitely wracking my brain trying to figure out how to use that strategy (getting in deep, letting the other guys push them to me). Unfortunately, the way the terrain lies, I don't think I'll be able to really put it in practice fully: The road goes to a corner of the land, not along the edge, and most of the places I'd cut cross country are too steep or too brushy to be any good in the dark.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad