Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer liver. Good to eat? How to keep, prepare and store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in regards to people worried about liver flukes. This came from the department of healths website. "This parasite is not infective for humans and presents no public health menace in this regard. The main prohibition against human consumption of cooked ‘flukey' deer liver would be an aesthetic one. Consumption of venison from an infected deer poses no risk to humans."

Comment

I had deer liver once about 25 years ago and was hooked!! Now I've finally come to find a friend who hunts and gave me the heart & liver!! I'm just not sure about the cleaning, I know how to prepare liver, not sure about the heart, though, only used to poultry hearts...never saw one this big!!

Comment

The fried liver recipe with gravy and onions sounds awesome. Will definitely try it this year.

Comment

The fried liver recipe with gravy and onions sounds awesome. Will definitely try it this year.

Comment

Of course you can eat the liver. Eating venison liver and heart has helped me get out of my deathbed. Read "Patient Heal Thyself," by Jordan Reuben. Put it in your soup. You'll find the recipe in his book.

Comment

I had it once. It was made for me and cut into little pieces like a person does for a toddler and put in front of me. I ate a couple chunks. Wasn't to bad, but was a bit chewy I thought. Then they told me what it was. I ended up finishing it but not sure I'll eat it again. I think its something about the idea of hearts and livers is what scares people away and not the actual taste.

Comment

Originally posted by santa View Post
                My Doctor has told me to not eat any animal innards. He says they are all bad for people with heart and circulatory problems like me. Yet, fried deer liver has been on my diet for years. But on the other hand my Doctor may have a good point because look at me now and the heath that I am in.
                Doubt it was the deer livers that put you in the shape you are now in

Comment

straight protein and its as good of a food as you will find, just don't make the mistake of overcooking it.

Comment

The liver of a doe is excellent if sliced into 1/2 inch slices and soaked in lemon juice and salt for 24 -48 hours and then removing the outer skin and frying.

Comment

No internal organs. Ever. Striated skeletal muscle tissue only.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad