Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer liver. Good to eat? How to keep, prepare and store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer liver. Good to eat? How to keep, prepare and store?

Deer liver. Good to eat? How to keep, prepare and store?

Can't stand the taste and wouldn't eat it if I could. I leave mine in the woods with the gut pile.

Comment

Coyotes need love too.

Comment

Liver being a filter among other things it is taken from a young animal ie. calf, chicken even pork.

Comment

My Doctor has told me to not eat any animal innards. He says they are all bad for people with heart and circulatory problems like me. Yet, fried deer liver has been on my diet for years. But on the other hand my Doctor may have a good point because look at me now and the heath that I am in.

Comment

I agree with WAM

Comment

love it. i've eaten it all my life and i'm still kickin'.

Comment

Eating deer liver all depends on personal taste. I know people that love it and people hate it.
                Is deer liver OK to eat? As long as the deer appears healthy and the liver has a dark red color with no spots or discoloring. Most animal organs are high in fat and cholestrol.
                Lets have some liver an onions

Comment

If you dont want to eat it, it makes good catfish bait.

Comment

i was brought up to believe not to eat it. ya cant control what the deer are eating. heart, liver all that stuff i personally wouldn't trust. up to you, if you do procede and do it, pickle em.

Comment

Wow, Some people should stay out of the woods its seems, While it is true that you should never eat the entrails of any animal because that is were the parasites live, The Liver is not a entrail nor is the heart. If you enjoy the flavor od liver in general then by all means eat it if not then dont. I have met people that claim deer backstrap and tenders are nasty tasting and should not be eatin, I even know people that dont eat meat at all. Yet I have never heard one of them state that you should not eat it because it would kill you or was unhealthy. I myself am a medical professional and in my highest medical opinion red meat can be a part of a very healthy diet and yes even liver be from a deer or a chicken it to can be good for you. Red meat is like all things that it is ok in small amounts. As for the heart it is the absolute leanest part of any animal you can eat, and if you enjoy meat from that animal then you will enjoy the heart. Ask any butcher what the leanest most tender cut of an animal is and most of them will say the heart. The usually keep them for themselves. I dont like the taste of liver however I will eat it on occasion I do save and eat the heart if it is not to bloodied up from the kill. I have one in the fridge now soaking to enjoy later. So while it is safe to eat the liver and heart I would agree that it is up to the individual.

Comment

I clean skin and wash the liver, then slice it into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices and roll it in flour with salt and ground pepper. then add crisco to a cast iron skillet and get it nice and warm. then place the breaded livver in the skillet and fry until golden brown along side of sliced onion. once you have cooked all the liver add a small portion of the flour mix and milk to the skillet and stir to a nice smooth gravy leaving the cooked onion in the skillet then spoon gravy over the liver on a plate with your favorite biscuits and enjoy... If you like that sort of thing.

Comment

It is the first piece of meat that will be ready to eat after a fresh kill. Alpha wolves take this important and nourishing piece of meat and claim it. Firemedic's recipe is spot on. I also fry up duck hearts and livers. Use a lid on the hearts because they explode with hot grease, but are good with a little salt, beats hotdogs, spam, or bologna anytime.

Comment

Deer liver is great eating. Personally I prefer bird livers like duck, chicken, and pheasant. Pork liver is great for pate and little rabbit livers are great in a rabbit pate as well.
                            I like creamed duck hearts on toast, too. I served it once as a special at a restaurant I cooked at it was a hit.
                            Happy hunting.

Comment

We always feast on the liver of the deer if it isnt shot up at all. Fried in a cast iron skillet with butter and onions, and a little salt and pepper. Like most lean cuts, you don't want to over cook it. Medium is as far as I would take it.

On a side note we always save the hearts for a heart stew. It's a fan favorite every year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad