Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone keep a hunting or fishing journal? Any special reasons or just the fun of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone keep a hunting or fishing journal? Any special reasons or just the fun of it?

Does anyone keep a hunting or fishing journal? Any special reasons or just the fun of it?

I was going to start one this summer and just wanted to hear your thoughts!

Comment

well i have 1 just sit and wait while i tell u why have it

Comment

im 10 and i want to keep a record of my fish until im 16 so i can spread fishing down my family tree

Comment

I keep one mostly for fun. But I also love to learn about deer patterns and behavior.

Comment

I keep one to track my accomplishments, and as john wrote, to note patterns. After a while you'll notice stuff like the crappie bite well on pink jigs when it's cloudy and chartreuse when it's sunny, and that sort of thing. Also, I think it would be awesome when I'm 80 to look back on all I've done and actually have a record of it to show-probably to no one other than myself. Also, be diligent, write every day of hunting or fishing or whatever you do outdoors, even if you don't bag any game. And leave a spot for notes and special things. Hope this helps.

Comment

When you troll the great lakes making a log is all most necessary. Knowing the lure, time, weather, lat,long, temp (water and air) and day you caught a fish is so helpful when starting a new year or plotting trend lines to your GPS. It can be a great asset to your fishing arsenal and is definitely worth a shot!

Comment

At our camp we keep a log of everything done, seen, or caught. It is really interesting, you can look back and get a basic idea of animal density in the area and the size of the fish.

Comment

Yes, because the mind is one of the first things to go as we get older. Includes commentary, hand drawn maps, and some coordinates. After awhile you see some patterns developing.

Comment

I have a comprehensive journal from 1989-1993 of places I have fly fished. Air temp, water temp, cloud covered, flowers, hatches, fish caught, who I fished with and much more.

I find myself going back to it every once in awhile.

About 3 years ago I began to video all of my hunts. It's a lot easier to record my day. I'm just beginning to go back and watch hunts from a few years ago. I need to learn how to edit. There is a lot of fast forwarding.

Comment

Thanks, i will making a journal this summer for cropie and bass.

Comment

i guess it depends really, i dont think anyone besides my family could ever understand it, its mostly maps and pictures and little notes stuck here and there.

Comment

I have kept a fishing journal for quite a few years now, I also do a lot of sketches and later convert those into paintings.

I started out with my journal because I was conducting some field studies for some small town lure designers and it grew from there.

It's fun to look back at journal entries from years ago and look at the date, time, lures used, etc.

Comment

A buddy of mine had one in high school and I think it went back to when he was 5 or 7. That guy was a natural writer, just reading it made me want to go hunting right then. Of course the other choice was HS English so you know....

Comment

A thought for you young people. I have a good friend who is a gifted writer and speaker. I mentioned my envy of his talents. His response was he had a high school English teacher who required her students to keep a daily journal during her class. He continued to do so for the rest of his life, and felt that writing just a few lines daily was the reason for his talents

Personally, I've attempted to journal my many adventures, but seem to give up after a few days into the trips. Occasionally, I read some of these of these feeble attempts and am amazed how many things I had forgotten. Much to the chagrin of my children and grandchildren.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad