Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my girlfriend has a 14 year old and a 16 yearold. both daughters and i have convinced the younger one to try bowhunting. the 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my girlfriend has a 14 year old and a 16 yearold. both daughters and i have convinced the younger one to try bowhunting. the 16

my girlfriend has a 14 year old and a 16 yearold. both daughters and i have convinced the younger one to try bowhunting. the 16 year old is considering rifle hunting. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Remember what it was like when you were learning. Be patient with them. They may not understand that opportunity can be rare in the woods and will not feel the significance of certain situations. Safety is always number one but you know that. Best of luck.

Comment

Don't do too much convincing, let it be something they want to do, not feel compelled to do, and like huntnow said, be patient, coach, mentor, but don't browbeat and don't expect miracles overnight.

Comment

Let it be fun, not "work." And get them decent boots and socks and stuff their pockets with handwarmers. We women get a lot colder on stand than you guys do and nothing will ruin a day of hunting faster than freezing your fingers off by sunup!

Comment

All of my kids started with a crossbow. At my age I can think of no greater joy then seeing a first time hunter enjoy this experience for the first time.

Comment

All the above is good advice, stay BEHIND them,

Comment

Not sure what I could add to the good advice above. Try and make it fun for them. I know with my daughters the more fun they have with me hunting, or fishing the more they want to go.

Comment

good point, moishe.

Comment

Teach the basics to the 16 year old with a .22 rimfire. Gradually work up to a .243 or other light recoil gun for larger game. Make sure hearing protection is worn. With the 14 year old start with a bow that has a reduced draw weight and make sure the target is very close. Missing a target doesen't really teach you much and finding arrows is frustrating. After she doesn't miss and groups well, then move back 5 yds. Above all, never speak unkindly no matter what always encouraging words, this should always be an enjoyable experience. Good luck.

Comment

Keep it short in the stand if its a slow day. Kids aren't as patient as adults, they need to learn patience but don't over-do it. Everything above is right, also be to be positive and involve them in all aspects like scouting etc.

Comment

Equipment that fits. Bows and rifles that that are too long, heavy or hurt is going to have them looking for other things to do.

Comment

Make a game of it, practice in brief sessions, and keep it low stress. Good suggestions have already been offered, but I underscore brief sessions because it'll keep them interested instead of tiring (or burning) them out.

Comment

Go for it, just start them with a 22 rifle and handgun. This is your chance to bond with them.

Comment

Enjoy any time they want to spend with you. At that age, it's rare I believe.

Comment

Don't force, encourage. That's probably the best advice I can give you. Tell her the positive things about hunting, and try to help her develop a love for it, don't force her to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad