Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were planning a camping trip, whether it be fishing, hunting or just plain camping, and your going to go somewhere you ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were planning a camping trip, whether it be fishing, hunting or just plain camping, and your going to go somewhere you ha

If you were planning a camping trip, whether it be fishing, hunting or just plain camping, and your going to go somewhere you have never gone before, what should you do? Should you just go? Find out as much as you can about the place and then wing it?

With the internet it is easy to find at least some info and pics of most places, so start there. Maybe call up and order some maps from whatever government agency oversees the land in that area(Forest service, BlM, etc..), and pick their brains while you have them on the phone. It is always fun to just explore, but a couple good maps and a little info can help you get to the "good spots" faster and make your trip more enjoyable.

Comment

You should definitely find out as much info as you can before hand. Should make the trip run smoother and be more enjoyable.

Comment

Find out a little, and just wing it. You'll be fine. Have fun. Did they google stuff back in the day? No. They just went. And it was fine. Go for it.

Comment

Like the above said you can find a lot on the internet, but the best way is to always take a few buddies with you. Generally one or two will have been to a place before or one similar so its not just a shot in the dark. Someone among you will have some experience and if there are 2 or more then you can build on that and usually make a pretty good weekend. And if it is a new place for everyone then you build on that one and have some common ground for the next adventure.

Comment

Maps, maps, and more maps. Optics (Binoculars and Spotting Scopes) should be a must for scouting. Take fishing gear when you're on a hunting trip too.

Comment

just go let it be a surprise

Comment

As gung-ho as I am, don't just wing it. Pick an area where you want to go, get ALL the info you can about it; maps, water sources, weather forcasts, regulations, terrain, vehicle necessities to get there (at least to the trail head), etc. Make sure you'll have enough food, weather-proof clothing, bear spray, whatever. A good rule of thumb is to pack what you'd take on any trip that includes a go-with-the-flow way of thinking, i.e. pack for the unlikely scenario.

Comment

I always research all of my trips before going, I want to maximize my time and also make sure I don't make a trip and find out the campsite is closed or something has gone on that will ruin my trip or vacation.

Comment

check weather,have food and water and go for it

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad