Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you do when you are trailing a deer and it starts pouring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you do when you are trailing a deer and it starts pouring?

what do you do when you are trailing a deer and it starts pouring?

As deer do not like to travel in the rain, I would expect him to bed down somewhere. But he would be keeping an eye on his back trail from a position off to one side or the other. Do not expect to come upon him directly in front of you.

Comment

I assume you mean trailing a hit deer? In which case i'd keep at it, unless it was a marginal shot.

Comment

yea i meant to put a bleeding deer. Sorry for being vague. But the first answer is good too

Comment

There is a spray on the markit and a light also;
          The light is by GERBER "Game Tracker" $39.97
          I've never used eather Spray or light.

www.sportsmansguide.com

Comment

ive never had this problem but i would probably tie a peice of rope to a tree near the last place i saw blood so if the trail gets washed away i at least have a reference point to start from and a direction to head in.

Comment

shoot it again

Comment

I avoid rainy days in archery because my Dad lost one to a rained out blood trail. I would trail it immediately if it caught me off guard. We found one my cousin hit by spreading out and he spotted the white underbelly from a good distance the next morning after a rain.

Comment

Stop, wait for the deer to bed down, and resume tracking later. Get a large group of people, follow the general direction of the trail, and look for the body rather than blood.

Comment

i'd track it as far as i could immediately so i could find blood before it's washed away

Comment

I would track it quickly after shooting it, also call a bunch of friends to help you track it, having more friends will help you move faster to find it before all of the blood is gone and they can start searching for the body if all of the blood is gone

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad