Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Mr. Heavey's latest column in mind, have you ever picked up a road kill? I personally have picked up 3 deer, all fresh, I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Since all the parties involved with this tale have passed to their rewards, I guess it is safe to tell.
    Fifty years or so ago, my Father and Mother were returning home from a rare dinner out. They did not have money to spare, but it was their anniversary, and the closest restaurant was 30 miles from their tiny ranch. A deer jumped out of the wild sun flowers beside the road and took out their headlight and fender. It was ten at night. My Dad said it would be a shame to waste the meat, and besides it had ruined their car. He dumped what he thought was a carcass into the trunk, and headed for home. While he and my Mother were arguing the legal ethics, and I'm sure several issues, low and behold, the deer came to. My Mother, in later years would laugh until tears ran down her cheeks recounting the next twenty minutes. At the time I'm sure it was not so funny. The dust cloud caused by the deer kicking the back seat made visibility almost impossible. Their tired old Buick had spent it's career on dirt roads and had stored plenty of dust for this occasion. She was sure the animal would explode into the front seat at any moment. My Father refused to stop and let it out. He was used to seeing things through. Good or bad. Upon arriving home, Mom stormed into the house, leaving Dad alone to deal with the issue.. He opened the trunk and was flattened by the deer which then pounded him around for a bit, then the deer staggered off aways and stood still. It was obviously badly injured. Dad scratched his head, decided he should put the animal out of it's misery, limped into the house got his old Enfield 06, went back into the lists and killed the deer.

While Dad was field dressing, out of the darkness walked an old sourdough neighbor, who opened up his knife and said " he knew that a shot from our house at that time of night would involve a story worth walking half a mile and three foot bridges to hear. He wasn't disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• buddyboy564
    replied
    Ive never really thought to pick one up

Leave a comment:

• KingFisher907
    replied
    When I first moved to Alaska, 20+ yrs ago, I joined a road-kill crew that would collect road-kills (usually moose) and distribute them to charities...we collected many fine moose...I vividly recall a huge bull that had been killed by a train...it was 55 below that january night...cutting up a frozen moose, in the dark, at -55, was something I will never forget...

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I've taken two roadkill deer and one rabbit.

When I was in college I hit a rabbit and took it home and ate it. Any meat is good meat for a poor college kid.

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    I've picked a couple of deer up. We can also go to the court house and have our name and number on a list. So when someone does hit a deer and the cops show up they will have someone give a person on the list a call to grab it if they want.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Found a quail in the road once. Cleaned and ate him. He was good-looked like he died from a heart attack-no damage at all.
    Last night I saw a small buck that had lost his antlers dead by the road. He was very fresh so I called my taxidermist friend Dan. He takes everyone he can get. I don't eat them but Dan says he gets a lot of good meat. He also takes fawns out of dead does and stuffs them. Each deer is different some are badly damaged. Others are in pretty good shape. Any Kansas Law enforcement can give you a roadkill tag.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Saw a story a few years back about deer carcasses being used to feed eagles during a hard winter.

Never picked up road kill myself. There's a local restaurant called The Moose Preserve. They have a dish called the Road Kill Grill - venison, quail, and boar sausage. When you order it they give you a bumper sticker that says, "I Eat My Roadkill."

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    CPT BRAD, That reminds me of what they do in Green Bay. The Bay Beach Wildlife sanctuary has a pack of wolves and they use road kill deer to feed the wolves. It saves the city alot of money on dog food.

Leave a comment:

• rjbedrock
    replied
    I've picked up 10-15 in the past. I just take the back straps and feed the rest to the ravens.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I have never picked one up. In Wyoming you are required to first obtain a "game transport tag" for $2.00 from the Game and Fish. Otherwise you can get a ticket that costs you about $100.00 in court. I suppose you could sit by the dead deer and beg the garme warden via cell phone to drive out and sell you a tag. You can bet that if you leave the deer to go buy a tag the head and antlers will not be there when you return. Same goes for road killed pheasants or any other game animal or bird as far as I can determine.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    I have never picked up a road-kill deer. We usually see the deer once they are days old or have been splattered all over the road. Once someone hit a deer by our driveway and didn't have anybody take care of it. I t sat there a couple of days and was spoiled, so we dragged it out to the middle of our field and used it as coyote bait.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    Never picked one up, but i've been looking on the shoulders for a pair or rattling horns. Always have a saw. Funny you rarely see decent bucks laying.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    My Dad picks em up all the time he's got a 60 acre Coyote pen and it cheaper than feeding them dog food. Course his usually aren't as fresh as the ones above. I wouldn't do it but its his thing. Coyote field trials are pretty popular around here for some of the dog owners.

Leave a comment:

• s-kfry
    replied
    A friend and I picked up a mountain lion carcass on the median of I-25 south of Castle Rock last fall. Before you all start howling, yes, we found out it was illegal to have without a permit and passed it off to the DOW. What was amazing is how big they really are.

I also skinned out a raccoon last winter that was road kill (donated from the same friend).

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad