Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Mr. Heavey's latest column in mind, have you ever picked up a road kill? I personally have picked up 3 deer, all fresh, I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usmcturkey
    replied
    I had a lady hit a doe down the street from my house. She used our phone then we went down to see the deer. When the police officer got there we asked if we could keep the deer and he filled out the paper work and we took it. Another time we were in a squirrel tournament and needed one more. We found one on the way to the weigh in.

Leave a comment:

• 2Poppa
    replied
    I was at church one evening and a friend wanted some deer meat and asked me if I had any. On his way home, he called me and said that a deer had just been hit on the road.

After lookin' at the deer, I realized the meat was going to have a lot of splintered bone, but was able to get the tenderloin and backstraps off of it.

I followed my buddy home and fried it up in a cast-iron skillet for him and his kids. They loved it!

One of the most horrific road kills, I actually witnessed, took place as a buddy and my son were travelling south, down I-75, in Kentucky to go deer huntin'.

We were runnin' about 65 miles per hour, behind an 18 wheeler,and decided to speed up and pass, the huge truck. I glanced to my right, to see a 6 pointer, jump the guard rail and take one step towards the Monster truck.

It died in mid-flight!

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    I was coming home from college one Friday night and saw a doe stick her head across the white line and catch a semi front bumper in the ear. It was December, deer season was still in so I said what the heck. I figured the deer was not damaged as all I saw was the wack in head and she was knocked away from the road.

Upon getting her home my Dad and I dressed her out. (or tried) The only bones in her body not broken were her back legs from the hocks down! The meat was bloodshot and never mind the cavity. The semi and I were running about 65 mph. It is amazing what kind of energy transfer she took. That ended my desire for road kill!

Leave a comment:

• With Mr. Heavey's latest column in mind, have you ever picked up a road kill? I personally have picked up 3 deer, all fresh, I

With Mr. Heavey's latest column in mind, have you ever picked up a road kill? I personally have picked up 3 deer, all fresh, I witnessed police finishing 2 and the truck that struck the 3rd was still at the scene when I took the deer. If you have picked one up, tell us about it, and if not why not?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad