Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Mr. Heavey's latest column in mind, have you ever picked up a road kill? I personally have picked up 3 deer, all fresh, I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first moved to Alaska, 20+ yrs ago, I joined a road-kill crew that would collect road-kills (usually moose) and distribute them to charities...we collected many fine moose...I vividly recall a huge bull that had been killed by a train...it was 55 below that january night...cutting up a frozen moose, in the dark, at -55, was something I will never forget...

Comment

Ive never really thought to pick one up

Comment

Since all the parties involved with this tale have passed to their rewards, I guess it is safe to tell.
        Fifty years or so ago, my Father and Mother were returning home from a rare dinner out. They did not have money to spare, but it was their anniversary, and the closest restaurant was 30 miles from their tiny ranch. A deer jumped out of the wild sun flowers beside the road and took out their headlight and fender. It was ten at night. My Dad said it would be a shame to waste the meat, and besides it had ruined their car. He dumped what he thought was a carcass into the trunk, and headed for home. While he and my Mother were arguing the legal ethics, and I'm sure several issues, low and behold, the deer came to. My Mother, in later years would laugh until tears ran down her cheeks recounting the next twenty minutes. At the time I'm sure it was not so funny. The dust cloud caused by the deer kicking the back seat made visibility almost impossible. Their tired old Buick had spent it's career on dirt roads and had stored plenty of dust for this occasion. She was sure the animal would explode into the front seat at any moment. My Father refused to stop and let it out. He was used to seeing things through. Good or bad. Upon arriving home, Mom stormed into the house, leaving Dad alone to deal with the issue.. He opened the trunk and was flattened by the deer which then pounded him around for a bit, then the deer staggered off aways and stood still. It was obviously badly injured. Dad scratched his head, decided he should put the animal out of it's misery, limped into the house got his old Enfield 06, went back into the lists and killed the deer.

While Dad was field dressing, out of the darkness walked an old sourdough neighbor, who opened up his knife and said " he knew that a shot from our house at that time of night would involve a story worth walking half a mile and three foot bridges to hear. He wasn't disappointed.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad