Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have a GOOD recipe for persimmon pudding. Every time we make it it tastes horribly bitter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have a GOOD recipe for persimmon pudding. Every time we make it it tastes horribly bitter.

Does anybody have a GOOD recipe for persimmon pudding. Every time we make it it tastes horribly bitter.

Make sure your persimmons are ripe! Basically, if they haven't fallen from the tree they will most likely still turn your mouth wrong side out!

Or, try the Japanese variety you can find in grocery stores.

Comment

I agree, even the ones you pick up off the ground are too tart for me. I Leave'm for the deer.

Comment

Nope but my wife has a good recipe for chokecherry dacquris. You just have to watch for bears when you are picking the chokecherrys.

Comment

Ishawooa, Will you share your recipe for chokecherry dacquris? My Mother made the best chokecherry jam. Have you ever had Wild Pumps from Northern
          California? If not I'll see to it you have some of that jam. Kindest Regards

Comment

Sorry, That should have been Wild Plum, not Pumps. Kindest.

Comment

If they are too bitter then they aren't ripe - will get soft and mushy when they get sweet.

Comment

Happy Myles, I would trade you either a jar of my homemade Raspberry jelly or Blackberry jam for a jar of wild plum. We had wild plums in Central Florida. They was sour as all get out and made a really delicious tart tasting jelly. I grow my own berries. Have 2 Persimmon trees also. Anyone got a recipe for them. I just east them fresh once they get ripe. Usually after first frost.

Comment

You might try drying persimmons like they do in Japan. They turn brown and get a fine white powder on them. The powder is crystalized sugars and is quite edible. I love them.

Comment

Del in KS Send an address or PO Box and the Wild Plum jam is on it's way. Nothing too good for the World Champion Tent Tester. Kindest Regards

Comment

Happy Myles here is what I could get from the wife about the dacquris. Put the washed chokecherries in a large pan covered with water. Add about one cup of sugar for each two quarts of berries. Cook this until it settles down into a syrup like juice. Be sure to stir often and don't allow it to boil or burn. Strain the liquid through a piece of cheesecloth to remove the unwanted berry parts, sometimes a strainer is adequate. Allow the syrup to cool. She adds about a jigger of juice to a jigger of dark Bicardi rum with ice. She said that you might have to vary the recipe insofar as sugar content depending on how ripe the berries are and your own taste as well as the amount of syrup. The syrup keeps well if stored at refrigerator temperature. This makes a very tasty and colorful drink on a late summer afternoon after fishing.

Comment

Happy Myles,
                        Send an email to [email protected] and will return the address. Will need yours also. Which do you prefer Raspberry or Blackberry?

My guess is that syrup recipe will work on lots of things.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                            by jhjimbo
                            If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated...
                            Today, 10:10 PM
                          • How much is too much?
                            by FirstBubba
                            There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                            Today, 09:40 AM
                          • Reply to More Bad News....
                            by jhjimbo
                            Wishing you get some reassuring news from the Vet. Be with her all you can and keep the faith. Will pray for you all. Jim
                            Today, 10:02 PM
                          • More Bad News....
                            by WA Mtnhunter
                            My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                            07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                          • Reply to Who are the millions of new gun buyers going to vote for?
                            by FirstBubba
                            The hidden damage the (D)'s are doing will be insurmountable in November!
                            Sen T. Cruz (R-TX) called out Sen M. Hirono (D-HI) to denounce "Antifa"....
                            Today, 09:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X