Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you make your own sausage? What's your favorite recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you make your own sausage? What's your favorite recipe?

Do you make your own sausage? What's your favorite recipe?

I do make my own sausage and it is delicious. Take the nastiest, toughest, most tendon infested meat on the deer and run it through your grinder at a 50/50 ratio to bacon. I then add salt, pepper, red peppers, thyme, fennel seeds, oregano, liquid smoke, fresh bell peppers and halepenos, and anything else that sounds good. Mix it up and you can fry it in patties for sausage burgers, you can brown it and use it in lasagna and spaghetti, you can stuff it into casings and have super-brats.... use your imagination.

Comment

Also, add Garlic and Provolone

Comment

Sorry Crawlife this isn't a sausage recipe like you want but to add to hunt_fish_sleep post another twist on his recipe is to use as many seasonings as desired he mentioned and the addition of bacon sounds good I'll try it but here is where it gets different. Take your sausage mix and add appropriate amount of rice and mix. Now take some bell peppers, the bigger the better, cut the cap off and stuff pepper with sausage mix leave half inch space on top, replace cap. Ten minutes before cooking is complete remove caps from peppers and pour in some tomato sauce, replace caps and cook another 10 minutes. Hmmm,Hmmm,Hmmm. I know what I'm making sometime this week, hadn't had it in a while.
        A little provolone like steve said sounds good on top of the sauce.

Comment

Yes we make our own sausage, and no I will not give you any ingrediance. It's my dad's recipe. Sorry.

Comment

8 pounds venison
            2 lbs pork fat
            2 tablespoons canning or pickling salt
            1/2 oz. black pepper
            1 oz. rubbed sage
            1/4 - 1/3 oz. crushed red pepper

This makes a relatively mild sausage that is not overly salty. Adjust the pepper, salt and sage to suit your taste.

Cube the venison and pork fat. Sprinke with seasoning mix and grind through a 1/2 inch plate then through a 3/16.

This can be made into patties or stuffed into casings.

Comment

Beekeeper, when you stuff it into casings how is that cooked, smoked, cured? I've never done that.

Comment

Where do you get casings?

Comment

I have had trouble finding my own casings too. I resorted to going to the hippy grocery stores.They will usually sell them.If not a licensed butcher can but they have to have to seperate grinders or something so that trichinosis is not spread.

Comment

Go to your local butcher shop, they'll set you up with some fresh casings. Once you buy them, you need to use them fairly quickly because they go rancid fast.

Comment

Yes I do!

Comment

Yes I do!

Comment

Yes I do!

Comment

Yes I do!

Comment

Yes I do!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad