Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most everybody knows that PETA is offering a $1,000,000 reward to anyone who can grow meat in a laboratory. This question has t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    It's possible but I won't buy it!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    It's possible but I won't buy it!

Leave a comment:

• Nycflyangler
    replied
    It makes a lot of sense. PETA people don't object to meat per se. They object to the way we obtain it.

Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's founder, is quoted as having said in an interview, "I loved meat, liver above all ... My God, I would eat it tomorrow. Now. I would eat roadkill if I could.

I'd eat burgers, steak, anything. I love car racing and meat. I am a boy at heart, I am my father's son ... On my way down into the District, I would stop in Potomac and pick up triple-ground prime meat ... I would break a raw egg and take onions and capers and I would mix it all, and I would go about checking on the animals while eating this raw food right out of my hand. I am just a raw-oyster, raw-meat-eating person who happened to find out what happened in the meat industry, and I just can't support it."

buckhunter wrote:

"That doesn't make sense. They don't eat meat but they are offering a $1,000,000 for meat?"

Leave a comment:

• Nycflyangler
    replied
    1. Yes there are.

2. They already have. They're now working on making it commercially viable.

3. It's a forgone conclusion. We won't have a choice. It's the only way we're going to be able to feed the expanding human population.

Outside of the first world, people eat considerable less meat per capita then we first worlders do. That's due to economic reasons. That's going to change as they industrialize and want to live a more Western lifestyle.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Beekeeper - Soylent Green is the green wafers.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    It is called a tissue culture and it is done everyday. I don't think it would work on a large scale. It could be used to produce "protein" if we ever get into a time when we couldn't do so in a conventional way. Anyone remember the old Charlton Heston movie, Soylent Green? Yuck...

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I wonder if PETA would protest if the labs were dirty or the test tubes were too small?

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    I would never eat it.

P.E.T.A people-eating-tasty-animals

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Lab meat? That might go better in Korea, where yellow dog is on the menu. Sorry, couldn't resist.

So, PETA thinks it is okay to grow meat and consume it, though it would still be living tissue? They must not be from this planet. I've got no appetite for it, especially if in the form of green wafers.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    I wouldn't so much as walk into a store that sold that Bull$hit.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    I know for a fact there are colleges doing research on growing organs for transplants such as kidneys. My son spent a summer at Emory University studying Biomedical engineering. Haven't heard anything about growing meat, but organs yes. Son decided he did not like playing God and went on to become a Chemical Engineer.

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    buckhunter this is PETA that we are talking about, when does anything they do make sense. For the record no way am I going to eat it or give it to my family.

If it wasn't killed it ain't gettin' grilled.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    That doesn't make sense. They don't eat meat but they are offering a $1,000,000 for meat?

Leave a comment:

• HillbillyDeluxe
    replied
    Yes people are working on it and it is possible. We talked about this a year or so in my bioengineering class. I sure as hell wouldn't buy it, but I guarantee you PETA members would.

Leave a comment:

• wsimien
    replied
    If you don't have to kill it first then it ain't even close to being meat.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad