Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay, what soes MOP stand for? I was told to ask you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay, what soes MOP stand for? I was told to ask you.

Clay, what soes MOP stand for? I was told to ask you.

For hunting, it's a more practical standard than MOA, but i'll let Clay explain since he coined the phrase.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Glad you asked!

“MOP” or Minute Of Pieplate!
        A pie plate is the about the right size to be the vital zone where the heart and lungs are located of any given animal whether be a whitetail deer or moose. Don’t get the mixed up with MOA or Minute Of Angle. We are not talking about shooting groups; instead we are talking about hitting a pie plate size at a given range whether be at 50 yards or 500 yards.
        If the game your after is at 700 yards and you can hit a pie plate at that distance, I say go for it because your shooting “MOP” at 700 yards!

A lot of people get freaked out after traveling only to find there rifle is not shoot ½ inch groups and shooting “MOP” at 200 yards. The average shot on any game is 175 or less!

Comment

Thanks Clay, i will be using this from now on probably!!!

Comment

PS

I witnessed old timers over the years walk up to the firing line and if they can hit a pie plate at 100 or even at 50 yards that’s good enough. Funny thing, these are the hunters that bag out on opening day with a monster and I see nothing all season long.

By the way, 1995 my “MOP” was at 1000 yards! Got a little older, few more pounds and started to wear glasses to read.

Comment

MOP at a thousand paces is good shooting, make that exceptional shooting. Actually the vitals (lungs) are considerably larger than a pieplate, not to correct Clay(i can't) so if you shoot MOP you're definetly in the killzone if you aim center of vitals. My longest shot at game was just shy of 300 yds. I held only an inch or two above the deers center(height) with my '06 and hit him about 6 inches above his bellyline, a perfect 1 shot kill. MOP is very practical for hunters

Comment

i don't get your question. what is a MOP i don't think it's a word.

Comment

Good one Clay!

Comment

Good one Clay!

Comment

Good one Clay!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by franchi20
                        I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                        Today, 07:40 PM
                      • Debate #2: new rules
                        by FirstBubba
                        New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                        The "Biden Campaign"!...
                        10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                      • Reply to What's after Trump?
                        by franchi20
                        Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                        Today, 07:34 PM
                      • What's after Trump?
                        by FirstBubba
                        No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                        There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                        Today, 01:46 PM
                      • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by fitch270
                        The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                        Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X