Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could hunt and fish in any time period in America's history which would you choose??? Why??? Where?? Keep in mind you al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could hunt and fish in any time period in America's history which would you choose??? Why??? Where?? Keep in mind you al

If you could hunt and fish in any time period in America's history which would you choose??? Why??? Where?? Keep in mind you also could only use the gear and technology of that period.

Sixties, Rocky Mtns, long hunting seasons, many areas did not require special draw tags, hunt areas were larger, costs were reasonable, grizzlies were legal, wolves were minimal or non-existant, game rules were fewer, life was easy, and my then new Sako 7 mm worked great.

Comment

That's pretty tough. I would love to have been able to fish central Florida pre-Disney. From the old pictures and stories I've heard the Orlando area was nothing but lakes and orange groves. There were tons of huge bass that had never seen a lure, not to mention some of the saltwater oppurtunities that had not yet been explored. The equipment of that day would have been more than adequate. Give me a round baitcaster, a fiberglass rod, and a huge floating plug and I'm good to go.

As far as hunting is concerned I would have enjoyed to have turkey hunted in Missouri or maybe Kansas before anyone really new how to call turkeys. A single shot with a full choke and #4's and I'd be as content as could be.

Comment

When I first thought about this question I immediately thought of the untouched wildernesses that existed here in early settlement years. But after further thought I would have to say that I would love nothing more than to turn the clock back just a few years so that I could once again hunt with my favorite hunting partner and father who is no longer with me. I am certain the quality of game would be better in a long gone era but not the quality of the hunt!

Comment

i would say the years of the pilgrims. all of that un touched wilderness and game would be amazing!

Comment

There is a momantary flirtation with wanting to hunt in early post columbian America. Due to any number of reasons game populations were said to have been at their highest. But... I would really love to go back to the mid to late 60's in the coastal plain of Georgia when one could easily have 20-25 covey days on wild Bobwhite Quail most anywhere you hunted. I would love to share this with my father and grandfathers.

Comment

The days before the Pilgrims, when the Buffalo roamed free, Elk, Deer, Moose lived on the prairies and plains. Fish were plentiful and no Asian Carp!

Comment

If I were hunting were I live (Indiana) I would choose no time other than the presant, because the population of deer is at a record time right now and the hunt would be great. But if I could actually go back in time, I would choose to hunt the dinosaurs. Just think of how great it would be to kill one with a huge rock!

Comment

I would like to go back to the 1300's and hunt the out west with a bow. Game populations would be great and you can't beat hunting un-charted territory.

Comment

I would have liked to have been with Bob Marshal during his exploration and mapping days. I can just imagine the quality of the grizzlies back then.

I would have liked to fish from the old barges that plied the Missouri river around the turn of the century. Many unbelievable sized catfish were caught using a spoiled half ham.

Comment

I'd love to hunt what is now Yellowstone, when that was allowed, and it hadn't been all roaded up.

70's Vermont. Mountain whitetail hunting at it's finest.

Pre-craze Catskills. Before it was a resort area, and before the flyfishing boom.

I have to agree that pre-Disney Florida would have been pretty amazing.

I'm sure there are more times and places that I've fantasized about, but they aren't coming to mind.

Comment

I would hunt in the 1930's in Pennsylvania or Montana

Comment

Would be nice to go back into the days of my ancestors. Walrus skin qayaks, bows and arrows for birds. My family's life would depend on my hunting and fishing.

Comment

I wouldn't mined trying back when Lewis and Clark explored Montana.

Comment

early 1900's Chesapeake Bay/Eastern Shore, a Remin gton Mod. 11 with a 11 shot extension, Tollers and sink Boxes, Ducks and Geese to blot out the sun, and maybe just to say I did it I know it's gluttonous, but to shoot a 2in. punt gun at 700 rafted canvassbacks was a terribly misguided time/approach but it must have been truely amazing wildfowling by todays standards. or I like Bee's a 6 Covey Day would make my head swim!!LOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad