Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my dad isnt really big on hunting.He says why not just go to the grocery store to get meat, and he says that he doesnt want game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dad isnt really big on hunting.He says why not just go to the grocery store to get meat, and he says that he doesnt want game

my dad isnt really big on hunting.He says why not just go to the grocery store to get meat, and he says that he doesnt want gamey tasting 'crap' in his freezer. How can i convince him to hunt and if i have to do something with the meat other than eat it what would be my best option? Thank you so much!

You know if you dress your whitetails properly, there should be no gamey taste at all.

Comment

The gamey taste comes from freezerburn too. Vacuum pack the meat. Tastes great.

Comment

I explain it to people this way; hunting is a hobby or pastime just like anything else, I could be sitting on the couch on saturday watching football or I can be hunting. The difference between hunting and other hobbies is that hunting yeilds benefits ie the meat. TO dispell your fathers qualms about game meat I suggest making him a deer steak and having him try it. He may not ever hunt with you but he should stop you if that's what you want. As for what to do with the meat if he won't eat it. then you eat as much as you can and give the rest away.

Comment

Man, I feel your pain I do! I love to squirrel hunt and my wife even thinking about eating a squirrel make her want to hurl!

When I was 13, Dad and I got picked along with four others from his work for Elk in Arizona. His Commander being one of them decided he was going to be the camp cook so he made up a calendar for breakfast lunch and dinner for each day. Everyone got there except the two Majors the Commander being one and so that morning Dad drove while Bill Mercer and I shot squirrels. We even went back into town to get flour for gravy and when the two Majors showed up, we had supper ready and talk about our camp cook being mad!

Comment

Good question. You might want to invite him along as a non hunting participant. Tell him you need someone to film your next hunt or to call while you shoot or you need help carrying your equipment. Make something up just to get him to come along. If after a few times he doesn't get the bug maybe he's just not a hunter and there is nothing wrong with that.

I would suggest butchering your own meat. Cut out all the fat and grissel and let your meat hang a few days. You'll be surprise how well properly prepared venison can taste.

Comment

I believe that you should eat want you hunt and only kill as much as you can eat, but there are programs out there where you can donate the meat to shelters and it will be used to feed the homeless. I have never done this, but if your dad won't let it in the house and you want to continue to hunt you should look in to it.

Comment

Dad,all of our days are numbered. We are only here for a short period of time, and I value your time with me.

It would please me, to have you as my guest, my friend, my father, to accompany me to the great outdoors together, away from this concrete jungle, and rat race, that consumes so much of our time and energy, and demands our attention.
                Yes, we would be hunting, but it's not about pulling the trigger, or getting some meat. It is all about sharing life, my life and your life, intertwined together, through the experience of breathing the same fresh, outdoor air together.We can talk about the good times and make some new memories!
                Dad,would you please reconsider ... going huntin' with me. Do it for us!

It may cost you a little more, but pay for the meat to be cut-up and offer it to a soup kitchen or some organization that would covet the meat.

Pennst8hunter,I would be one proud dad, if you were my son, asking me to go.I hope your dad decides to go ...
                let us know if and when he does!

Comment

What I have done in the past when dealing with somebody that doesn't like wild game, is prepare a meal in which they assume you are using beef. Make something with ground deer, and serve it to your dad, or have your mom help. See if he even notices, I have done this several times and never had anybody notice until I tell them. When you butcher the meat yourself it completely changes the taste, I have done it for 4 years now and the meat is 100 percent better than from a butcher. As long as he's not morally aposed to hunting he might see the value in your hunting. I would also take initative, butcher your own meat, it takes some work but isn't that hard and he will see how hard you are working, he might appreciate that. I also agree that you should get him involved. See if he will go on a scouting trip with you, show him good article in your favorite hunting magazine. But go slowly, if has taken 10 years to turn my sister. She may never hunt herself, but she has made 180 in her opinion about hunting. One last thing to try is explaining how great it is to know where your meat has come from, with a cow you never know.

Comment

For whitetail just cut all the white fat off the deer and it tastes great! Also tell him hunting is fun, plus you get to eat what you kill.

Comment

When done right, game meat beats its store counterpart every time.

Wild game is all natural in every way. Yuppies get excited about free range, organic, natural diets for their meat animals, local, sustainable, bla bla bla.

Well, the only way to really get all that is to go kill it and grill it yourself. No additives, no hormones, no cages, nothing. But they'll never touch wild game meat. Morons.

Comment

If you dont want to eat what you kill you can just donate the meet to the local locker and they will give it to the pantry.
                        To help get him to hunt just tell him that there is no feeling like helping to supply meet for you family by actually getting the meet, not just by getting paid and heading to the grocery store. Plus ask him if he really likes totalling his car by a deer and that hunting can help reduce accidents like that.

Comment

tell him hunted meat tastes beater and you xan create a number of thingd from the fur. also say its an old and grat tradition

Comment

Tell him the meat is a bonus from the hunt. If you want him to hunt too, maybe he can start off by just watching the deer from the stand, eventually he will probably want to harvest one.
                            There are many places where you can donate deer meat to homeless selters, if there isnt anything like that around, just mix the venison with other meats and you can hardly taste it. If all else fails, just tell him its what you love to do and your not going to change.

Comment

You cant convice anyone to hunt, you can only encourage them to give it a chance. If they dont want to partake that is up to them, but being that it is your father I would try to let him know how much it means to you and let him know that you dont want to get rid of the meat just because he does not like it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad