Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you folks have a vegetable garden and preserve some of your produce for the coming year by canning or freezing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you folks have a vegetable garden and preserve some of your produce for the coming year by canning or freezing?

How many of you folks have a vegetable garden and preserve some of your produce for the coming year by canning or freezing?

I have a garden but don't preserve, but my neighbor across the way does and always is kind enough to give me some in turn for my home made maple syrup.

Comment

Gardening: yes, canning: no, freezing: some. Canning is on the life long learning list but has not happened yet. Great question.

Comment

All of the above. We want to go further into canning fish and game but have not got there yet.

My MT. garden is looking awful right now, though - need deer fence, some hours with a chopping hoe, and some hot sunshine, and- given the terrible germination rates of the seeds we've been buying over the past few years- we'll soon have to start banking our own seeds from successful plants.

A big garden is one of the pleasures of life.

Comment

MY NEIGHBOR AND I GROW TOMATOES AND CAN THE SALSA WE MAKE.

Comment

At this elevation my garden gets off to a late start but is all coming up now. Our growing season is short but intense. We can, pickle, dehydrate, and freeze what we don't consume fresh.

Comment

My garden is not large enough (or well tended) to produce enough to can or freeze. It does add a healthy dose of fresh produce to our table. We have a mulberry tree, apple tree, blackberry and grape vines that provide some jams and preserves as well as fresh fruit, though not in any great quantity. We enjoy it nonetheless. In season our tomatoes are quite a treat, and we're nearly in season now! Squash, zuccinni, strawberries, peppers, lettuce and herbs round out our garden. I have a couple blueberry plants i'm waiting on.

Comment

Before she broke her neck in a horse accident, my wife found time to grown a highly productive 1/2 acre garden. Somehow she was able to either cook, can, or give away lots of good grub. I miss those days.

Comment

Grandma used to live off of just a garden and would can her vegetables. The meat they ate was from deer that we killed and gave to them.

Comment

My wife and I can, pickle, preserve, and feeeze everything we can. I even can mullet. I salt down fish and wild pork. I grind and smoke sausage. It is a way of life that was passed down to me from my elders and I have passed down to my children. They also grow gardens and put up vegies and meat. My brother inherited our fathers grist mill and grinds cornmeal and whole wheat flour for both our families.

Comment

We grow a small garden and shop at local farmers markets as well.

We freeze our food and tried to freeze and dehydrate some herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary)

Good stuff. Atleast we know whats in the food we eat.
                      Once we settle down we plan to raise chicken and quail for eggs and meat.

Comment

I normally grow a big garden ,but not this year . no time and I am glad i didnt we have the same crappy weather this year as we had last year. It drives me nuts to see that much work turn in to so little produce.

Comment

We did it last year but this year I have my wife on bedrest and I work two jobs and go to school..We don't have time this year but We are going to do it next year after the baby is born!!!

Comment

I garden, my mom cans some stuff,freezes some, and we eat the rest!!! I also raise meat chickens and laying hens! yummy farm fresh eggs and yummy(non chemical) chicken meat, it doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

I would try to if the kids and me would stay out of it. garden produce rarely makes it inside.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad