Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about Deer Cane or any other store-bought deer attractant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about Deer Cane or any other store-bought deer attractant.

What do you guys think about Deer Cane or any other store-bought deer attractant.

Personally I think you can buy stuff made for cattle for about half the price. Even simple corn is marked up because it says it is for deer on the package. They deer products may work but I'd rather save my money for new gear.

Comment

I don't waste my time with it. Baiting is illegal here, and even though some products are legal I still choose to hunt without mineral aids. Like herbie, I would rather spend my money on other things such as gear.

Comment

i dont like them much. i tried it once just to see if it worked. i saw absolutely no result

Comment

I was just wondering the guys who don't think mineral supplements work how long are you waiting to see if they work. I've got one I put out 3 yrs ago that didn't get used at all the 1st year or so but now is a 12" hole in the ground from the deer digging.

Comment

Well guys I just put out a block of Deer Cane and I'll see how it works. A regular salt blot from the farm store is about $6 and the Deer Cane was $7.99. And just to clear more up, the block that my friend used lasted about 6 months so they are long lasting.

Comment

T and herbie57_57 turned me on to Tractor Supply for animal supplement supplies. They are MUCH cheaper then the company I use to use...you should listen to Herbie and buy the cattle products.

Comment

A lot of these products are made up of nothing more than monosodium glutamate and feed salt. You can purchase feed salt in bag or block form from feed stores much cheaper than the commercial products. Monosodium glutamate is an addative that enhances flavor in food products ment for human consumption. It apparantly has the same effect on deer. You can buy it in bulk containers as Sam's or from a food supply business.

Deer need salt when they are feeding on "green" forage in spring and summer. They will fequent such "licks" heavily during this time period. As they move to mast in the fall they tend to use such licks less and less.

Comment

I use deer cane every year. I use the powder and i pour it around a stump. I only use 2 bags a year so it's not expensive. The deer will dig holes in the ground trying to get at this stuff

Comment

I use apples in the fall when deer aren't hitting minerals. Deer love them. Make sure baiting is legal in your area. I don't hunt over them just place camera to see if there are any monsters in the area. They usually come in at night.

Comment

Well so far I've had no success with it but I've only had it out for 3 days and I'm sure when it rains it should start firing up.

Del-I don't hunt over them either. This is the first time I've even put a store bought attractant out.

Comment

dont wast your time with deer cane. if your going to use somthing use c'mer deer.

Comment

I hate deer attractent. You don't need it.

Nate

Comment

I have had no luck with deer cane or c'mere deer. Only thing I have found to work with regularity other than apples and corn is Lucky Buck mineral.

Comment

It may help deer to grow during the spring/summer, but I don't know if it would be worth hunting over it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad