Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im new to hunting and i have a rossi 243 rifle and was wondering if a 243 is big enough for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new to hunting and i have a rossi 243 rifle and was wondering if a 243 is big enough for deer

Im new to hunting and i have a rossi 243 rifle and was wondering if a 243 is big enough for deer

.243 is more than enough. I've heard of people shooting deer with .223 and .22-250 and not having any problems. I've also seen deer shot with a .243 that had fifty cent piece size exit wounds. Use a round with a soft point and above 100 grs and you'll be just fine.

Comment

.243 would work great and use 100 grain bullets (I didnt use soft tips) and there was A LOT of blood when I shot one with a .243

Comment

I've taken more deer with a 22-250 than all my 25 to 444 cals put together. That 243 or better put 243-08 will do you a fine job!

Comment

the .243 is a great rifle for any medium sized animal in north america. it is a great choice for a first rifle because of its light recoil and availble ammunition. know however the range at which its effective is. if you are hunting power line right of way, large bean feilds, out west etc where a 300 plus yard shot is common place then think about something else. thats not to say that it will not kill deer at that range but there is a better chance that it will simply wound the deer and we owe it to our game to make and clean ethical kill

Comment

A .243 is absolutely a great gun to hunt deer with. It is flat shooting and has a very low recoil, so you won't have to worry about shooters flinch. The grain of the bullet isn't as important as the shot placement. Make sure that you get good clean shots. Try different ammo to see what works best from your rifle and practice from the positions and distances you are going to be most likely shooting from. You can hunt with the biggest gun on the market, but you won't bring anything down if you can't make good shots in the field. Practice, practice, practice, and you will be confident in yourself and your rifle.

Comment

The .243 is an effective round, especially with the advent of modern ammunition. Make sure you have it sighted in right, and don't skimp on ammo. I tend to shoot Hornady, but that is purely personal preference. Also, be sure of your range. The .243 is a relatively small bullet and loses energy fairly fast after about 200-300 yards.

Make sure whatever kind of ammo you choose to shoot has some sort of rapidly expanding bullet. Without it the .243 tends to not leave much in the way of a blood trail.

Comment

The .243 is an excellent smallbore rifle for deer sized game. Use good ammunition with 100 grain bullets. Shoot to place the bullet in the heart lung area and don't try shots where the bullet must penetrate a lot of muscle or bone such as quartering shots. Your blood trails should be very short!

Comment

If my 22-250 can kill a deer your .243 will have no problem!

Comment

You've already got the gun you need for deer, now about those black bears.

Comment

243 is perfect for deer.

Comment

a 243 is good when you are hunting in a thick woods where you dont have to shoot ver far. But my cousin was hunting a feild and shot and wounded a buck at 250 yards. The next day he used his dads 308 and dropped a bigger buck the next morning.

Comment

yes it really is

Comment

Yes, I would say that would be the lowest caliber you would want to use for deer.

Comment

My dad just bought a .243 about 5 years ago, now we fight over who gets to use it. It is a great deer gun. I always give him reasons he should use my 30-30 or 30-06 so I can use his .243.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad