Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when i get out of college i am thinking about getting a pup. i need it to retrieve ducks and geese and sometimes flush pheasants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when i get out of college i am thinking about getting a pup. i need it to retrieve ducks and geese and sometimes flush pheasants

when i get out of college i am thinking about getting a pup. i need it to retrieve ducks and geese and sometimes flush pheasants. will a lab be a good choice for both of these activities?

yellow or chocolate lab

Comment

A lab would be an excellent choice. They make great partners in crime for almost any outdoor activity, they are always ready to go.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I would go with a lab, I've had good luck with them.

Comment

Ya, go with a lab.

Comment

Lab would be perfect for all of your needs.

Comment

A lab is a great hunting dog and an awesome pet, just check the parents is you can because there is alot of variability in labs as far as size and energy level, get one that suits you. Personally I like the smaller 60-75 pound dogs, a 120 pound lab would just be too big for my little apartment.

Comment

Yes a Lab would be good, but you will have to work on the bird hunting skills. Not the retrieving but acutally holding and pointing, not something a Lab is known for. If you can get that down the retrieving won't be a problem. One thing you might think of is a cross breeding between pointer and Lab, it'll get the size down and might give him a different skill set. But the color would be odd. German Shorthair/Lab Mixes are getting popular, looks like a Chocolate Lab with some Bird dog sense.

Comment

Yes a Lab would be good, but you will have to work on the bird hunting skills. Not the retrieving but acutally holding and pointing, not something a Lab is known for. If you can get that down the retrieving won't be a problem. One thing you might think of is a cross breeding between pointer and Lab, it'll get the size down and might give him a different skill set. But the color would be odd. German Shorthair/Lab Mixes are getting popular, looks like a Chocolate Lab with some Bird dog sense.

Comment

I have had 2 German Shorthair/Lab mix in my lifetime.
                      Cureently 1 is a female named Mya. I've also had full blooded GSP, and labs.

The mix (GSP/Lab) is wonderful. They hunt close, great nose, no GSP whining, and a fantastic family dog. The mix eliminates full blooded medical issues.

My recommendation: Go for the mix: you will be amazed!!

Comment

Yes..Definitely!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                          by DakotaMan
                          WOW! Do you mind if I frame that for my shop Red? That is the absolutely best answer I've ever heard on this mystery question. You've got to get the bullet...
                          Today, 01:23 PM
                        • How much is too much?
                          by FirstBubba
                          There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                          Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                        • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                          by Pmacc60
                          Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use....
                          Today, 01:17 PM
                        • 30 06 bullets
                          by Cobey alvarez
                          What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                          07-07-2020, 11:41 PM
                        • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                          by DakotaMan
                          Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That...
                          Today, 01:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X