Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes people who love the outdoors keep from moving out of the cities and into the wide open wild lands of the West? Is a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes people who love the outdoors keep from moving out of the cities and into the wide open wild lands of the West? Is a

What makes people who love the outdoors keep from moving out of the cities and into the wide open wild lands of the West? Is a reduction in income and a lack of shopping malls worth missing out on a more enjoyable way of life?? I just can never figure out why my city friends don't up and move. Clarification please!!!

Don't encourage 'em, Or your Open wildlands will cease to be

Comment

Not that I want more neighbors, but just don't see the overall appeal of living in the urban jungles. Is a high paying job really worth it?? I lived in Phoenix, Seattle, and Atlanta for short periods when I was young and dumb, couldn't wait to get out of small town USA. After moving to the cities however I couldn't wait to get back to the rural mountain areas, there is absolutly nothing to do in the cities I was bored out of my mind. I can only go to so many movies, and shop so much before it looses its appeal and I need some real life experiences.

Comment

Its about jobs. I would move up to my farm in a heartbeat, but there are simply not many high paying jobs around there. Who wants to commute 2 hours or more to a job?

Comment

Agre with Steve182. If people didnt live in the city but moved to the wide open outdoors the outdoors would not be wide open, but covered in houses, roads, and malls. And it is expensive.

Comment

Idaho,

I live in a rural area and my property is surrounded on 3 sides by Nat Forest. The other side was Weyerhauser property. Guess what, 'hauser sold the land and it is now full of 5 acre lots and city folk wanting to experience the country life. Each and every one of them complaining about the smell of the cows or dust stirred up by tilling land.

Jobs keep them in the city, when they retire they want some place relatively warm so they head south. florida is full and Georgia is filling up. We are now the 9th most populous state and rapidly moving up. We are the also the largest state east of the Mississippi river. Enjoy what you have and don't encourage them!

Comment

P.S. If I sound bitter, as I told Petzel earlier, it is because I am!

Comment

The timber companies are selling off their ground out here as well. The competition with Canadian timber, taxes, and enviro lawsuits are making them shut down and liquidate their assets. Another case where the enviros caused more harm than good, land timber companies would have managed for timber production would have provided more habitat for wildlife than the subdivisions they are now being turned into.

Comment

money and the steep rise in price for land

Comment

Oft times I suppose there is a spouse chirping in on that decision making process.

Comment

Where I live it's really imposssible, the only way to buy land is by the section, we are surrounded by farm land. And to live in the country here is just way to costly. My wife and I both would love to live outside of town but we just can't afford it.

Comment

We were born and raised in the outdoors. They don't want to move because it is to much wide open spaces. They are used to being in a town house where they have neighbors.

Comment

Jobs, if I could find a job where I could work remotely I will be gone to the mountains perminantly.

Comment

Jobs and Family are keeping me from moving out west.

Comment

Jobs and Family of Course!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad