Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yesterday I went turkey hunting and called in 2 Jakes and 3 hens. Decided to let them walk, good thing too. When I got back to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday I went turkey hunting and called in 2 Jakes and 3 hens. Decided to let them walk, good thing too. When I got back to

Yesterday I went turkey hunting and called in 2 Jakes and 3 hens. Decided to let them walk, good thing too. When I got back to the truck went to unload and realized my gun was empty. Have you ever hunted with an empty gun? Did you get a shot?

I have a habit of what some safety experts would object to, instead of unloading my gun I'll show the other person in the vehicle I am just opening the action of the shotgun for safety [of course this is just not as good as emptying the gun ... newbies don't develop these bad habits!]

Sure enough I managed to walk around for an hour or so with the action still slightly open. Just as well I had no shots!!

Comment

Ha, yes Del I have been in a very similar situation. But luckily I had some shells in my vest and was able to load my gun before I missed a shot. It happens to the best of us!

Comment

I have pulled up on ducks and geese and pulled the trigger only to here "click"!!!

Comment

Many years ago I did one better than that. I went bow hunting trying to get in my stand before light and running late. I made it to my stand and used my climber to get up the tree. I was happy to be in place about 5 min before daybreak. Settled in I felt that something was amiss-I forgot my bow.

Comment

I did it on a doe a few years back, but was able to bolt one in and drop her.
            The worst was similar to Elmer Fudd when I checked to see that there was one in the chamber and somehow interfered with the whole operation of the gun and missed getting a fine gobbler. Even though it was my fault, I hesitate to use that Rem 11-87 any more because of the delicacy of its operation.

Comment

By the way, Del, good luck with your season. I don't think I'll make it back in the woods this spring even though there are a few days left.

Comment

I have, a few years back while hunting a south Texas ranch that held some very nice bucks. After a fast lunch at the ranch house as I walked to my evening stand I walked up on a group of pigs at 40 yrds that contained the biggest boar I'd ever seen. I shouldered my rifle waited for the double lung and squeezed off a shot, only to hear snap. Tried to chamber another round but scared the group off as I worked teh bolt. A friend had decided to unload my rifle for me as the ranch rules where no loaded rifles inside the ranch house and failed to remember to tell me. Thing was we'd locked the guns inside the truck as we went inside the ranch house to eat. I nor non of the other six hunters that hunt that ranch unloaded oour rifles untill after the days hunt and bringing our rifles in for the night. The boar was shot the same evening by another hunter that was not supposed to be hunting the property. I learned never assume your weapon is loaded or unloaded because someone might have messed with the weapon while you weren't looking.

Comment

Have you ever hunted with an empty gun? so far I have not..Did you get a shot? Luckily, I have couple of rounds in my Vest..Del, Good Luck on your Turkey Hunting and Hopefully my son, me and my best friend Bill will make it before the end of the season..Our Turkey Hunting ends on May 10th!!!

Comment

Not an empty, just forgot to chamber a round. Have done it on deer and turkey. Racking the slide slowly on a pump gun with a tom looking down tha barrel at you will make you sweat!

Comment

Yes I have, but fortunately it was a sxs and I was able to load in time.

Comment

I'm not quite that old...yet. lol

Comment

i went squirrle hunting with a empty gun. good thing i had some extra shells

Comment

I find it hard to believe any hunter would forget to load the gun all together, but I have forgot to pump our 20 gauge squirrel hunting.

Comment

I never hunted with an empty gun, but I've gone out with only one shell. Diving for lobster, I once got to the bottom in 70' of water & realized my snare and catch bag were still on the boat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad