Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to buy a good fly rod and reel for bass/ steelhead. I was thinking about a 9weight. Is this a good choice of weight? and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to buy a good fly rod and reel for bass/ steelhead. I was thinking about a 9weight. Is this a good choice of weight? and

I want to buy a good fly rod and reel for bass/ steelhead. I was thinking about a 9weight. Is this a good choice of weight? and what is an inexpensive choice as i am a student with only a part time job?

I very good rod is the St. Croix Imperial. I think they run around $150 and perform like a $500 rod. Reddington Rods are also very good and less expensive. If you are buying a reel for steelhead I would suggest buying a reel with a good drag. I have always fished my 6 wgt for bass and steelhead. My 8 weight with the larger reel are just so much heavier it wears my casting arm out too quick.

Comment

an 8 wt albright flyrod.

Comment

Albright makes the Yellowstone 2 piece in an 8 wt for less than $40.00

Comment

thanks guys i appreciate it. That is what ill be using my paycheck for tomorrow

Comment

Build your own rod! For the cost of L.A. Garcia's book, a decent set of rod blanks/cork grip/anodized reel seat/thread/guides, you'll have a better-than-average rod in about one day.
            If you can tie flies, you can easily build a rod. Hell, if you can tie your shoes, you can build a rod. It's hugely satisfying.
            If you buy, Beware Redington. My four-piece 9-footer (saltwater rod) broke so often I knew the customer service staff by name. Maybe they've found a new blank-maker, but I'd prefer the St. Croix. I've fished an 8-weight for 15 years, up to 50 days a year and it just keeps on keeping on.

Comment

I agreed with buckhunter answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad