No announcement yet.

Does anyone besides me eat squirrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you shoot it, you should plan on eating it. I let mine sit in a crock pot for about an hour.

Comment

To buck hunter 17, it is great. I wish we hadn't even started discussing it, because the season is closed and I never have any hang around long enough to make it to the freezer. To those who parboil before frying, what does that do for the meat? We have always breaded and fried them exactly like chicken. I'm open to new things, so I'll give it a whirl. Is it more moist that way? Smaller ones can get dry before they are golden brown. We sometimes soak them in milk or buttermilk for a while.

Comment

Does anybody know anything about soaking them in salt water for 24 hours before cooking them. I heard from an older gentleman that it makes them taste much better because it pulls the blood from the meat or something like that??

Comment

I am only 23 years old and all I can tell you about the squirrely tail is that it is great! I have been eating them ever since I can remeber and I love them! My father is from back in the woods old school days and he has always said
          "Squirrel is the rednecks lobster"

Comment

yeah, i have a few friends that eat them, and they love it

Comment

I go squirrel hunting a lot and i always eat them!

Comment

Ya, i love squirrel, i always get made fun of at school for it.

Comment

I love squirrel and if YOU SHOOT IT YOU EAT IT that is what i was taught

Comment

I always like grilling them whole and then adding the BBQ sauce when they were about 15 minutes from being done. When the time comes, you grab an entire squirrel and chow down.

Comment

Bella, why would bring up the subject of bacteria.

stu_manji, yes saltwater will do that. Some people also use a little vinegar because it eliminates some gamey taste to them.

007, can I borrow your wife?

Comment

P.S., I've never needed to par boil a gray squirrel, only the big reds.

Comment

ME!!!

Comment

i love squirrel

Comment

My wife and I look forward to squirrel season every year. It is the most challenging season in my opinion. Of course we eat them, either as a pie, for breakfast with gravy and biscuits or as spaghetti sauce. For any of the ways we generally parboil them first unless of course it is our first meal while camping and then we fry them, and cream of mushroom soup and serve over biscuits. Nothing could be finer.

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmm, squirrel. Squirrel pie, squirrel stuffing, squirrel gravy over biscuits, braised whole squirrel, squirrel stew, fried squirrel. I love squirrel.

My wife used to think it sounded disgusting until I served it to her & commented on how good the pot pie was, and she has been encrouaged me to shoot as many squirrels as possible ever since.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad