No announcement yet.

Does anyone besides me eat squirrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not eaten them in years. My old friend Charlie, who died last summer at 93, loved squirrel and dumplings. Once I was visiting him when his nephew walked out of the woods with about 6-8 grey squirrels in a bag and handed them to Charlie as a gift. Charlie looked in the bag and handed them back to Eddie saying "They are all head shot, you ruined the best part".

Comment

Yes parboil and fried is the way we always ate them.

Comment

Yes, fried, stew, squirrel and dumplings and as an ingredient in Brunswick Stew.

Comment

Almost forgot - Pumpkin Eaters Stew. Squirrels chew on every jack-o-lantern around here on Halloween. Decided to try some squirrel stew baked in a small pumpkin - excellent! I named it after the little devils themselves.

Comment

i love sqirral i usaully hunt them right before deer season i can scout and still get good meat

Comment

gross!

Comment

Don't shoot it unless you are going to eat it. Anyone that hunts then should be eating them. I hunt then; therefore I eat them.

Comment

Squirrel was the first critter I ever hunted successfully, I was 14 and I ate the rodent and stretched it's little tiny hide.
                  I do understand there is a form of spongiform encephalopothy one can catch by eating squirrel brains, but the meat is not affected if cooked thoroughly. Stew em up and serve em in a pie crust!

Comment

ish, I love squirrel and brown gravy, but you brought up a point of my brother-in-laws father, whom I liked. He would only eat squirrel if it had a complete head. He liked squirrel brain and scrambled eggs in the morning.

Comment

My wife cooks them off in the pressure cooker until the meat falls of the bones, then takes the broth and meat and makes a delicious white gravy. Add some home made biscuits and fried potatos and that's all anybody should need. As an aside, my kids and I hunt them with either a .22 rifle or T/C Contender in .22 magnum or .410, no big shotguns, too much shot in the meat. Bon appetite! (spelling???)

Comment

They're cheap to shoot and taste good. A great bargain gaem animal to eat.

Comment

ohh yes =)

Comment

I ate so many of them during my younger years just got tired of Squirrel and don't eat them anymore. Same way about rabbits. Give me some Quail.

Comment

I am only recently coming to understand that there are people in the world who have never eaten squirrel. Living in the southeastern U.S., I just took it for granted that everyone had at least tried it. If you've never had a fried tree rat with milk gravy and biscuits, I feel truly sorry for you.

Comment

never tried it is it good?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad