Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ethical to shoot a deer past 250 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• yellowtail3
    replied
    past 250? Not for me. I might think I'll hit it - and I might - but I shouldn't do it. Besides... I'm in the woods with a 30-30 or a muzzleloader most of the time, I can't even see that far. Even with a 30-06 or .270, that's a loooong way in IMHO; only do it if you've actually practiced at that distance.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    The only deer i shot at that range answers this question. I stalked almost a mile in a snowstorm. I knew the deer would be in this secluded field feeding during bad weather. When i got there there were 7 deer in the field. I had to belly crawl 50 yds before i had a shot at an old 6 pt. I did and made the shot. Was it ethical? You bet. He ran 50 yds after the shot, but this hunt was rewarding because i outsmarted this deer. Doesn't happen often, when it does its totally ethical.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    it just really depends.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    Yes with a rifle, no with muzzle loaders and shotguns (with sabots of course).

Leave a comment:

• timothyfaw
    replied
    i would say no

Leave a comment:

• Huntandtrap09
    replied
    I would say no. It really takes away the thrill of the chase. Just sniping a deer isnt really hunting in my books.

Leave a comment:

• pumakitchen
    replied
    I think the decision to shoot over 250 yards should be based on several facter. Experience and ability is a big one, but you also have to consider the angle of the shot, the timeing, do you have enough time to get closer. You have to consider your caliber and bullet weight. What is the weather like, if there is a 30 mile hour wind, you may not want to take that shot. Every shot needs to be planned and adjusted according to the conditions.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    I think that it is depending on what you are using and ofcourse your shooting ability.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Williams
    replied
    It depends on the hunter's individual efficiency at such shots. They certainly should not be attempted in the field before numerous shots at that distance at the range with a rifle whose caliber would be sufficient for such distances and quality optics for said distance.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Del - You have a Hatfield? You're my hero!

Ethical past 250? I am not going to judge someone with confidence - funny things can happen at any range. Carelessness is something else, though.

Leave a comment:

• kjflorian
    replied
    Yes. It comes down to the comfort level of the hunter.

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    If you know you can shoot that far and be accruate I'd say it's ok. Just as long as you know how good you shoot and how good your gun is.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Your really asking, is politically correct to shoot past 250 yards?

Leave a comment:

• Sportsman Matt
    replied
    Depends on what is the effective kill range of the rifle / cartridge you are using. I wouldn't use my 30-30 past 250 yards, but I could use my 30-06 out to 500 yards, and the 45-70 out to 850 yards. But do I really want to have to walk 850 yards to track a blood trail? Probably not, so I limit my shots to 200 yards or less (my personal closest shot was on a deer at 15 feet on the ground from the end of the muzzle, and my longest shot at a deer with the 30-06 was 493 yards from a tree stand)

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to BIG deer! (?)
    by FirstBubba
    To say they are "spooky" is an understatement....and they travel in herds with lot'sa eagle eye vision eyeballs to watch on all directions!...
    Yesterday, 10:05 PM
  • BIG deer! (?)
    by FirstBubba
    We came down to south Texas to spend a few days with the youngest.
    We helped assemble a chicken house/run.
    This morning, we all walked out...
    09-25-2022, 09:43 AM
  • Reply to BIG deer! (?)
    by 99explorer
    I knew a cattle rancher back in central Texas who shot an aoudad that had wandered onto his property, having escaped from an exotic game ranch.
    Yesterday, 10:05 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
    by fitch270
    Jackson Browne

”Doctor My Eyes”

Yesterday, 10:03 PM
  • TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
    by fitch270
    Good tunes to cure what ever ails ‘ya this week.

Robert Palmer wanting a house call.

Yesterday, 09:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X