Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about loading some 3" 7 or 7 1/2 shot field loads for hunting pheasants next season. I want the 3" loads for the k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking about loading some 3" 7 or 7 1/2 shot field loads for hunting pheasants next season. I want the 3" loads for the k

I'm thinking about loading some 3" 7 or 7 1/2 shot field loads for hunting pheasants next season. I want the 3" loads for the knock down power, but I want the 7 or7 1/2 shot so that the birds don't get torn to pieces. 2 3/4" shells have always done a great job, but I want to experiment and try something different. I hunt a lot of ditches, CRP, and stubble fields, so my shots range from close to long. Does anyone have any experience with a load similar to these?

I haven't done anything with 3" shells but I have been doing some experimenting with 2 3/4". I use Red Dot powder with a #30 MEC bushing with 6 shot. That is a little hot for Red Dot but it hasn't torn the pheasant up. The problem comes in when you get into quail. These loads will tear a quail up pretty bad so I try not to use them for anything smaller than pheasant. I don't know about your gun but my doesn't cycle 3" as fast so that might be something to take into consideration but good luck with what ever you decide.

Comment

I've always used 3" 6 shot for pheasants. It works good at long range, but I understand what you mean about it tearing up the birds. All I do is when they get up close give them a second or two to fly. It gives me more time to aim and let's the bird get a little ways away so you don't destroy it. More time to aim increases accuracy and saves shells too.

Comment

you shouldn't have to worry about the power because i have killed several pheasants with 20 gauge 2.3/4 with 7 shot. oh also with a skeet barrel. you should be fine with what you had and spare your shoulder

Comment

I hunt pheasants in Illinois with the 3" 7 1/2 and I have killed about 15. That is also what the outfitter recommends too. If availiable try Fiocchi shells. They are more expensive, but they are geared primarily for wingshooters and they have a pheasant line.

Comment

I use 3" 7.5 and have done well with them.

Comment

3" #6 with an improved cylinder or modified choke. If the birds are close and also far, try a 4x6 by Remington. If you need faster ammo, go with Golden Pheasant ammunitioni by Fiocci (which is nickel-plated lead) I have tried the #7 1/2 Fiocco nickel-plated lead in 2 3/4" for pheasant, but felt the bird was closer than most. Try different brands and see what your gun likes most.

Comment

I grew up in South Dakoata and have shot hundreds of pheasants by now. I would never shoot a 3" shell at them for the following reasons:
                a) puts too much lead in the bird and they are difficult to eat
                b)too much recoil, why knock yourself out for a measely pheasant
                c) shells are too heavy to carry in the field
                d)too expensive... wasting lead that is not required

I wouldn't shoot size 7 1/2 shot at them because:
                a) I would not want to get all that shot in my teeth nor would I like to take the time to pick all those little pellets out of the meat
                b) Range is limited to about 20 yards and most of our pheasants are hit at 30-40 yard range sometimes 60 yards
                c) They don't knock pheasants down... they seem to be great for pen raised birds but the wild ones are tough and keep flying.

I shoot 2 3/4" hot field loads with size 4 shot. I wait until they are at a nice 30 yard range to shoot but can drop them effectively at 60 yards if necessary. Most pellets that hit them go clear through so I don't bite into them at dinner. The pellets are big enough to pick out of the meat if some remain. I like to hunt with guys who shoot 7 1/2s because I get to shoot most of their birds as well as mine.

Comment

i would have to agree with dakota man #4 in 12 ga. 2 3/4" is my choice as well. i have been hunting pheasant since i was a kid and even in my old .410 my dad insisted on #4 shot.i have watched guys using high-brass #6 knock down bird after bird only to have the bird either run off in the brush or fly off from behind them, and the ones they did kill outright the breast was full of shot. those are the guys that want to trade birds because theirs has the breastfeathers blown off and they want a good mount.(i just smile and walk back to the truck)

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X