Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would also like to about know about labs. I want to start breeding them. Does anybody breed dogs and how hard is it to get a k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would also like to about know about labs. I want to start breeding them. Does anybody breed dogs and how hard is it to get a k

I would also like to about know about labs. I want to start breeding them. Does anybody breed dogs and how hard is it to get a kennel started?

My father had one when I was a kid, as the oldest I was pretty much the kennel manager. At a minimum you need an 8x10 concrete pen with dog boxes on the outside. this will help so that you can check the litter add lights or heat in the winter etc etc. a clean concrete floor will prevent worms, and other nasties that are common. Hose it out and bleach it monthly or so.
    Other than that you'll have to field trial you dogs to get your name out as a breeder. You need to have some trophies to go with your papers. This is a full time job so if you're serious write me back and I can go into excrutiating detail on it. Or I can put you in touch with my Dad who has moved on to Coyote hounds.

Comment

What does a field trial consist of? I work out of state so my brother might be doing this for me. Just the basics is fine, I appreciate it.

Comment

CPT BRAD pretty much said it all. My family owns a kennel business so I know what it takes. It is A LOT of work.

Comment

Cpt B. said it all, it's a lot of work to do it right unless you want to run a puppy mill. We have plenty of mills here that are finally getting shut down and prosecuted.

Comment

Like everyone else said Brad did bring up some good points. We raised labs when I was younger but got out of it after our good female died. We didn't field trial our dogs we just had good bloodlines and would show our dogs in the field if people wanted to see the parents hunt. Papers and field champs mean nothing if the dog doesn't have the drive to hunt.

Comment

The ones I've seen on TV consist of retreiving obeying signals and showing. The ones we went to were pointers and hounds where they judged the control of the dogs and if they would point and hold. The hounds is the first dog in the race and the number of barks.

Comment

Don't you think you should pet them first?

Comment

Agreed with CPT BRAD answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

There are plenty of breeders out there. Volunteer to help one that is reputable and you will learn a lot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What's after Trump?
                      by franchi20
                      Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                      Today, 07:34 PM
                    • What's after Trump?
                      by FirstBubba
                      No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                      There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                      Today, 01:46 PM
                    • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                      by fitch270
                      The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                      Today, 07:01 PM
                    • So is everyone ready for deer season
                      by Milldawg
                      With my hectic schedule between work and owning and operating another business now. My shooting and hunting for this year have been shelved. So I am going...
                      Yesterday, 09:20 AM
                    • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                      by 99explorer
                      Rumor has it that Trump will be bringing a bullhorn to the final debate tonight in Nashville, so he will not have to depend on an open microphone to be...
                      Today, 06:49 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X