Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THIS SITE, PARTICULARLY THE ANSWERS SECTION, IS GETTING PLUGGED UP WITH FLUFF!!! This was a bit of a problem when I first came

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Costley
    replied
    So many of the questions could be answered by experts by googling them on the internet. The internet contains a wealth of information at your fingertips. Always evaluate what you read; not all information in print is true.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Hobob,

I'm a product of the 60's and 70's, perhaps from a different environment than you. In the Deep South we took a dim view on the protesting and revolutionary thoughts of the time. Our hair was short and we said yes mam and no mam out of respect. We still do. I was taught to think for myself as a youth. My elders also took a dim view on what they termed as "foolishness." This view on said foolishness has stuck with me in my middle age. My mind remains clear and sharp and I do remember the teaching of my elders, my teachers and my mentors. I was taught to bring my behavior and my work to a higher level.

I too am involved with youth development. In our efforts we do as S.GA said above, we place the bar high, we promote excellence. There seems to be a popular movement in this country to deliver and work to the lowest common denominator or perhaps the middle of the road in education and in standards. The results speak for themselves, mediocrity.

I welcome the participation of youth on this site. But, one must remember that we deal with many developmental issues dealing with firearms, shooting, hunting, ammo reloading, and the list goes on... All these issues are quite serious in nature. True, we enjoy them but they are still dangerous to the uninitiated. When I took an NRA sponsored hunter education course as a wee lad one phrase was repeated through out the event, "Horse play and guns don't mix." We had fun during the course and as youth we got to let off steam by running and playing during breaks. When learning about firearms or when on the range later that phrase was the law.

We have changed much about learning in "modern times". Much of our learning is in a disconnected form now. Young people seek outside sources because many don't live in traditional families. Many have parents who both work and don't have the time to spend with them as my parents did. Many who have a budding interest in shooting sports and hunting seek outside information because their parents don't have an interest in the same. We should be mentors to these youth in all areas, including developing their maturity levels. We should not be molly coddlers.

I offer to you sir that in a world where young people hold in reverence such high quality and intellectually appealing movie vehicles as "Jackass", and are exposed to increasing levels of violence and profanity on TV and in the popular media we owe them better. The better that so many of them don't get at home.

I for one appreciate a little maturity when in the company of individuals holding both firearms and fishing rods...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    While I find Beekeeper's logic impeccable and cynical enough to be worth of me, I hope that it isn't the case. That someone would only care about numbers and not actual content is not logical.

As for age limits?... How do you prove it on open internet? "Click here if over 16?" Yeah, that works.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Sorry, I meant "fruitless posting" not fruitful. Gees!

Leave a comment:

• tennesseedeerhunter
    replied
    i can agree with you we need to put a age limit 15+ on this website and you will get rid of the stupid questions

Leave a comment:

• sgaredneck
    replied
    Dukkillr,
    Folks like you are an asset to the site. +1 for excellent well-spoken comments.

Hobob,
    I have seen senseless interaction and I have seen thoughtful discourse from younger folks on here. dukkillr's remark about setting the bar higher is to me what it's all about. So the question would be, do you want a 'youngster-friendly site with high standards' or do you want an 'everybody rides for free - no rules -do whatever blows your skirt up site'?

If there was ever an example of someone being a mentor on this site, it's without a doubt Del. One of the boys wrote me a thank-you letter and it flat made me tear up. It was very sincere and heartfelt. So I have no doubt that there are youngsters out there who have the right priorities and the right motivations. Note: it was not written in txt-ese. I didn't need my decoder ring to understand it.

We might keep in mind that when the outsiders that don't want us to have some of our freedoms(i.e. PETA) see ANY weakness, including grammar in poor form as lack of intelligence, it therefore possibly emboldens them. What then are the benefits of speaking in twitter dialect or text language?

I see no reason for it. That doesn't make me like young folks any less. It only makes me to want them to be better than I ever was.

Leave a comment:

• Kenton
    replied
    dkklillr, not only do you have a quick wit, you seem to be pretty mature... I actually thought you were older than a hs senior. Your responses are well thought out and composed. Wish we had more pups like you on here.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I would also recommend that the points incentive system be dropped. F&S should recruit/select gear testers independently (which I'm sure they do anyway). As an incentive for participation, the editors might want to think about monthly drawings for a prize for those who commit to a dozen or so posts. Should also be a way for individuals to keep track of their posts every month. The folks who just want prizes would disappear after the minimum and, most likely, disappear altogether after a month or two of fruitful posting. That's the way the other outdoors forum I followed worked. I did win a very nice prize early on (and something I could actually use). After that I pulled my name from consideration but still kept my oar in the water - as much as ever. Anyway, I know F&S needs hits to make "the bottom line", but if they really care about this forum and its serious participants (who are also magazine subscribers), they need to reappraise things.

I'm also wondering if the sporadic posting delay that causes accidental multiple posts isn't just a bit too convenient for business managers counting forum activity. Can't say that I have ever encountered this problem in any other forum.

Leave a comment:

• dukkillr
    replied
    Hobob - I am a teenager, and I see senseless interaction as senseless interaction. Granted, the younger members may ask less-intelligent questions, which is not a bad thing at all and is to be expected, but when they ask a question like "i like guns. who else likes guns?", that is not exactly the kind of query that should be encouraged. (For the record, I avoided using an actual question so that I wouldn't single anyone out.) Social interaction should be encouraged, but not all interaction.

Maybe most teenagers don't ask "respectful questions"...and maybe it's time that we need to set the bar higher.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    Sorry I deal with kids all the time and the fact that they even respond and ask questions to adults on here amazes me. Its the one thing that separates hunting from other pursuits. Senseless interaction to you is seen differently to a teenager and their stupid questions were our stupid questions once. Its just in writing now for every arrogant person over 20 to attack.I'm sorry also but I don't remember teenagers in the 60's and seventies oozing respect and only asking respectful questions but maybe thats middle age kicking in.

Leave a comment:

• dukkillr
    replied
    I'm with Ontario, Hobob. And, since I'm not quite one of the old farts, I think I can safely speak as one of the "kids" on here. That is, if a high school senior is still a kid...

...anyway, yes, interaction should be encouraged, but not senseless interaction. The adults shouldn't be coming down to the kids level and thoughtfully responding to every stupid question, it is the kids who should be maturing and getting to the point where they know the difference between a legitimate question that other people can benefit from and a fluff question that helps no one. If they want to ask stupid questions and conduct stupid polls and give stupid answers, they should log onto Facebook. If they want real answers to real questions involving the outdoors, they should get on here. It's that simple.

Leave a comment:

• hengst
    replied
    Ontario wrote "There is nothing wrong with them learning to respect some etiquette." Absolutely******(gold stars for you) and I for one would love a spell checker..When I reread before I post I am still amazed at how much my proof reading sucks

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    I started as a response to the deer issue wanting to tell the writer who leaves his brass under a rock as a thing for people to find...never did send email..got hooked, havin fun...

oh that guy, the litter bug.. do not hunt with me, I pick up all brass and shell regardless if your hunting miles away from people.. its still littering, I lost a great lease due to exhunting buddy littering.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Hmmm. The site could easily be improved. I was formerly a regular on a forum that eliminated some of the problems that plague this one. A private message option with limited storage is a good option. Moderators took care of profanity and other abuses. One moderator went nuts (literally) and about ruined the site. Certainly are pros and cons to having moderators.

No one is talking about eliminating kids, Hobob. My late son could not communicate very well with a computer (but surprisingly well for someone with autism) and I sure wouldn't have wanted anyone telling him he couldn't come on here. I want the young people to stay on board but I want them to be here for the right reasons. There is nothing wrong with them learning to respect some etiquette.

Another good suggestion would be to add the spell checker option (many forums have this). I for one would like to have my posts looking a little better.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Dear Hobob,

We are not talking about individuals which ask sincere questions here. Those questions are apparant and are answered by the crowd with aplomb. The issue at hand is the tossing of large quantities of fluff and repeated postings just to gain points. Yes, I know your response will be, "Why don't you just ignore it." I do until I have to wade through 2 pages of point mongering to find a sincere question.

It is a rare forum indeed where young people and adults can mix and share advice and wisdom. The old format (sans points) provided that environment. Constructive conversations were held and quality advise was given. Participation was strong and constant.

I recognize the fact that I was raised under rules totally unfamiliar to many of todays youth. I was taught to be respectful not only by my parents but also by my teachers. Thoughtful questions were always entertained and answered. I was also taught to utilize available resources to seek out and research the answers to my questions. Doing so provided an intelligent approach to the discussions that were pursued. Krass remarks and smart-alecky questions and behavior were not tolerated and the resultant response ranged from minor admonishment to a trip to the wood shed for an intense violation.

Perhaps we must all agree to disagree. However, if such behavior is tolerated it will continue to proliferate until those that do provide steady and quality advice on the forum go elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How come the Amish aren't all dead?
    by Pmacc60
    Why post something like fact check and make a statement like Amish have dug a lot of graves. ? Fact check only says Amish are effected by Covid 19’...
    Today, 12:50 AM
  • How come the Amish aren't all dead?
    by labrador12
    The Amish Community have largely ignored the Covid bullcrap, got the virus, and continued on their way. Herd immunity and disregard for the vaccine played...
    10-11-2021, 08:52 AM
  • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
    by jhjimbo
    Duran Duran in the news - another alblum. I did not know they were still kicking....
    Today, 12:25 AM
  • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
    by fitch270
    Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
    10-22-2021, 07:47 AM
  • Reply to May Use This One
    by jhjimbo
    When I first got it only Norma ammo was readly available. now several load for it as do I....
    Today, 12:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X