Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do view clearcutting timber - aspen, hardwoods, alder, conifers, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do view clearcutting timber - aspen, hardwoods, alder, conifers, etc.

How do view clearcutting timber - aspen, hardwoods, alder, conifers, etc.

Sorry MLH I don't understand what your asking.

Comment

What are your opinions on clear cutting? Support? Neutral? Detest? And reasons?

Comment

Oh. Totally support it, it provides lots of food and cover the following few years. The paper companies clean out all those plots of land in the U.P. and a few years down the road, it provides a pretty good spot to hunt.

Comment

Tree-huggers will try to tell you different, but wallofsam is exactly right

Comment

I just wanted to add that I (and I'm guessing wallofsam also) am talking about managed clearcutting, which is usually the case, not clearcutting an entire mountain for instance

Comment

In managed blocks with the proper stream buffers it is OK. One problem we have in the south is that huge tracts get cut all at once and there is incomplete mixing of various growth phases. We end up with loblolly pine mono culture planted in dense stands. Little to nothing but pine needles underneath after about 7-10 years. Due to the deflated price of pulp wood these stands don't get managed properly due to cost and are seldom thinned these days.

I'm all for timber managent done properly.

Comment

We have a forestry management program in place on my farm. I entails mainly selective harvesting. there are some areas that are pretty much completely removed of trees. As long as there are small tress that will grow up in their place, its ok.

Comment

It works fantastic if you fo it right, got to have balance

Comment

Do it right to reduce fire hazards, cut slash piles to burn in the late winter, early spring to thin the forests, generate pinecone germination, etc... Responisible woodsmanship will create a better forest, wilderness for animals and hunters alike...

Comment

Clear cutting produces some great habitat for wildlife but may create erosion damaging nearby streams. If done right it's a good thing.

Comment

It is good, tender green stuff deer like to eat sprouts and at the right height for them to get to. As said before, if it's done right. Back around the turn of the century the Ozarks was raped of its timber. Tremendous amount of soil erosion occured.

Comment

I think it kills the acorn crop personally, the only thing they cut here are hardwoods and leave the pines. I don't know, I don't understand it, but I don't like it.

Comment

I don't mined as long as it is a small amount. For fire breaks.

Comment

Agreed with wallofsam answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad