Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best big game hunting caliber? Im going to be hunting mostly deer maybe some moose and caribou so i was think the 30-0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best big game hunting caliber? Im going to be hunting mostly deer maybe some moose and caribou so i was think the 30-0

Whats the best big game hunting caliber? Im going to be hunting mostly deer maybe some moose and caribou so i was think the 30-06. what do you guys think? thanks

IMO thats the best round!

Comment

No, I would go with a 22 the cartridges cost a lot less money and have plenty of knockdown power.

Comment

I think you are on the right track with the .30-06 because of the wide variety of bullet weights in factory ammunition. The newer, hotter calibers might not be around at all in a few years.

Comment

30-06 or 35 Whelen are pretty nice for these.

Comment

.30-06 is the best North American big game cartridge. It can take down anything from a deer to a moose to a black bear.

Comment

I would look at the 308,it's very versatile round for loads n weights and will take any animal in North America.It also has less recoil allowing you to shoot more accurate and that's were it counts no matter what round you use,if you can't put it where you are aiming,you are gonna spend alot of time walking and looking.But,I do like the 35 Whelen for nostalgia,model 94 but would not try more than 100yrds.with mine. Open sights.

Comment

For Caribou, a 270 with a 13 grain realy works good!

For Moose the best bang flop was a teenager with 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt® 30-06. Even hit wth 458 and 460's, I've assisted in many times to find there wounded Moose.

Got to able to hit "MOP"!

Comment

i have a 300 weatherby mag. i love this gun. it brings down all my animals and i have shot alot and none have ever gotten away this gun will take down a moose fast, this gun is made to hunt really big animals!!!

Comment

How many times has this question been asked? And everyone always has their own opinion on what's the best cartridge. I guess there is no "REAL" answer, but just whatever you feel like is the one cartridge, that is the one for you.

Comment

.270 WIN. is my all time favorite caliber for everything up to elk. However once you throw moose into the mix you will need to step up to .30 caliber and the most versatile .30 caliber is .30-06.

Comment

i love the 30-06 one great cailber all around use but great for deer

also like my 3oo win mag for biger game

Comment

338 is the way to go, big knock down power and high sectional density

Comment

Laying all the jokes aside, the 30-06 is by far the best cartridge especially in the hands of a beginner and especially for the advanced shooters!

ken.mcloud said it best!

“So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”

Comment

I wish I had a dollar for beating every 300 Magnum topped with a extraterrestrial scope on the 1000 yard line with my open sighted M1A chambered in 308 formally known as the 7.62 NATO!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad