Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got back from coyote hunting and I was able to call one in in the first five minutes. The problem was he never crossed onto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back from coyote hunting and I was able to call one in in the first five minutes. The problem was he never crossed onto

Just got back from coyote hunting and I was able to call one in in the first five minutes. The problem was he never crossed onto my side of the fence line so I never got a shot. I was using a distress call but I think next time I go I'm going to try to use bait along witht the call. Ive been researching this on the internet and have heard of people using everything from watermelon to house cats to dog food. Some of the obvious answers are deer carcusses and roadkill, too. What do you guys use/suggest for baiting in an SD yote?

I go to my local butcher and get scrap bones, hooves and fat.When I head out to the bush I bring a 4'x4' peice of chicken wire fence with me.Once my bait site is picked,I put the bait on the ground then lay the wire fencing over it and secure it to the ground with 6" U bolts and a hammer. this keeps the coyotes and other varmits like crows and raccoons from easily consuming your bait.You want to lure them in, not provide a free meal.

Comment

Gut pile works better.

Comment

When I know I will be going out I will go rabbit hunting and keep the scraps as bait. Then I would use bigjakes method of covering it with mesh. I do it a little differently I put it about hip high of the ground on the side of a tree. That way when they reach for the bait the vitals are open and not covered by brush.

Comment

Boy you guys are in the left field.

What you need is a decoy

Rabit decoy from Bass Pro

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_35322_425009000_425000000_425009000_425-9-0

Yodel Dog

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201902_425009000_425000000_425009000_425-9-0

Fur ball on a stick

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_63951_425009000_425000000_425009000_425-9-0

Even a large feather on a 5 pound test fishing string tied to a low hanging tree branch will work. Something that makes movement to raise there curiosity!

I you live in New Mexico I can tel you some of the hottest spots on earth!

Comment

The question was about baiting coyotes not decoys clay, get yer glasses on.

Comment

If you wanna get technical big jake bait means to entice or lure with something. I belive that includes decoys.

Comment

i use an old stuff animals and set them out and call but if i use bait i use any kind of scraps that i can find beef deer rabbits any kind of scraps works for me

Comment

Clay is right I prefer a decoy and have nonestly never baited except for returning to a gut pile after a few hours/next day after I take a deer/elk.
                  Ya know those squeaky toys for kids/dogs/cats? When the coyote starts getting close one of those things will raise up their curiosity sometimes better than a a loud distress call.
                  I get them coming with a distress and finish them with the small squeaky noise. The sight of a jackrabbit fur on a quiver stick helps.

Comment

Those are some nice items clay, but not for the cost.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the predator enticer? Ive seen a few on ebay and it looks like they are going for around $50.

Comment

Road kill sounds like it would be easy to find and it would work.

Comment

You can use a little tan or gray stuffed animal. Some fishing line to wiggle it helps.

Comment

I hunt yotes in SD too... you are on the right track and did well for your first call. The distress call works well and you had one coming in. I never use bait or decoys because they tend to take too much time and spread my scent around too much... just an accurate rifle. The coyote probably smelled you or saw you move your finger to the trigger... they are VERY cautious and smart. You might consider hunting back to back with a buddy so you don't have to move on approach or set up somewhere that you know their approach pattern (e.g. from a fence row leading from a timber). If they are down wind, you need to be shooting at about 100 yards or more. Also, you have to cover multiple approaches (e.g. both sides of a fenceline) if you can. If you want to try a decoy, a turkey or a bunny decoy will work fine. My brother actually had a SD coyote jump his turkey decoy while turkey calling. Although they are generally extremely smart, they get really stupid once in a while... good luck and keep trying.

Comment

Well I went out on Wednesday for the second time this year. I managed to call one to 20 yards in less than five minutes and my friend blasted him. It was so much fun and I think my calling will be good enough for now. Atleast until they start to get a little smarter I wont need to use bait.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad