Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have a 30-30 lever action without a scope would that work for coyotes? If so is a 150 grain bullet too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have a 30-30 lever action without a scope would that work for coyotes? If so is a 150 grain bullet too much?

i have a 30-30 lever action without a scope would that work for coyotes? If so is a 150 grain bullet too much?

Do you want to keep the hides? If so, the 30-30 is probably a bit too much gun. Chances are you will blow through the coyote and have a gaping hole on the exit side. Do you hand-load? If so, you can still use the 30-30 and keep hides...I load 110 grain Sierra bullets close to the minimum load, which slows them down, and use a hollow point bullet which will slow even more on impact.

If you don't want to keep the hides, the 30-30 will handle any coyote you want to shoot out to about 200 yards...

Comment

If your keeping the hides a 30-30 is probably to much. I would suggest a .243 for coyotes. but if you are just shooting coyotes for hunting, and not for hides a 30-30 will do the job.

Comment

If you are hunting them because you want the hides 30-30 would be a little much. A .243 with 80 grains or even a .22 highpower with 65 grains would work great.

Comment

If you want to use that gun and keep the hides all you need is a sewing needle and dental floss. After skinning you can sew the hide back up. A rifle with a scope would be helpful anything from a .204 up to a .243 would work well without damaging the hide too much.

Comment

If you handload, I might recommend the Sierra 110-gr roundnose bullet, usually chosen for the M1 Carbine, and the Sierra 125 grain Spitzer, both make a great plinking and small game cartridge for the .30-30. I don't put more than one in the magazine because I prefer to avoid asking the possibility of a bullet of one cartridge detonating the primer of the cartridge before it in a tubular magazine. With that provision, I also recommend the 125 grain Spitzer. Accept the limitation of making the Model 94 a single-shot or putting one (ONLY one) in the magazine for a follow-up shot, should you want it. My Win 94 is equipped with a Williams receiver sight, and it has been gratifyingly accurate with both bullets I've recommended. If you aren't handloading and Remington's Accelerator ammunition is unavailable (I regard it as overpriced), the 150 grain Flatnose is probably a good option. Admittedly, if you normally hunt deer with the same rifle and want to stay in off-season practice, you would make a good choice to use the same factory loads you would use for deer, but the 94 is such fun to shoot that this one ammo choice would overlook the range of possibilities of this cartridge.

Comment

you will get more distance with smaller calibur. i have heard wile having very good knock down power, 30/30 is only good for about a 100 yards. bullet is long and heavy and starts to tumble after 100 yards. ilike my 270 very comfortable at 200 yards.(have not had 300 yard shot yet)

Comment

The 30/30 is a bit much in my opinion, but if it what you are comfortable and accurate with, stick with it. You may have to sew up a lot of hides, but it's pretty easy with a needle and dental floss. Your range might not be as far as say with a .223 or .243, but if you are accurate with your 30/30 stay with it.

Comment

i wouldnt use it because it will destroy the hide. i would use a good 223 or 204.

Comment

i wouldnt use it because it will destroy the hide. i would use a good 223 or 204.

Comment

I use a .17hmr yeah i know but i got to say it kills them and it doesnt mess with the hide

Comment

That would work good just go with a lighter grain bullet

Comment

It will but you limit yourself to about 100 yards and the hides won't be worth keeping. but for just killing them it will work great within that constaint

Comment

I use the Winchester 94 with Remington 150 gr. softpoints. You can use this load on just about any game animal from coyote to Black Bear with excellent results.

Comment

Yes, and no.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Biden
                                by 99explorer
                                If Biden and Harris are as far left as they come, where does that leave Bernie Sanders?
                                I understand that the other contenders on the short list
                                Today, 08:05 PM
                              • Biden
                                by Danbo
                                https://justthenews.com/accountabili...ne-allegations

He is very...
                                06-23-2020, 04:55 PM
                              • Reply to Biden
                                by 99explorer
                                I just got an email from Donald Trump soliciting campaign contributions, and taking the opportunity to bash Kamala Harris, reading as follows:
                                Today, 08:02 PM
                              • Reply to Biden
                                by FirstBubba
                                Uhhmmm........?????
                                Harris is "Jamaican", if you're looking for a more adequate "racial discriptor".
                                I'm quite certain...
                                Today, 07:56 PM
                              • Reply to Biden
                                by franchi20
                                From what I've seen, the PC and woke print media capitalize the B in black but don't capitalize the w in white. When did skin color become a nationality...
                                Today, 07:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X