Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you go with for grouse hunting..a 20 gauge pump action or a 12 gauge dbl barrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you go with for grouse hunting..a 20 gauge pump action or a 12 gauge dbl barrel.

What would you go with for grouse hunting..a 20 gauge pump action or a 12 gauge dbl barrel.

Either, but the 20 will do the job.

Comment

It depends on how you handle the particular gun and maybe the gun itself. A long barreled 20 gauge with a tight choke may be more of a handicap than a smooth swinging 12 Ga double with more open chokes. Both guns with open chokes will get the job done. In grouse hunting you typically work in tight cover. Shorter barreled, quick handling, open choked shotguns tend to be the chosen firearm.

Comment

i would go with the 20

Comment

This is a good question, because you rarely get more than one or two shots at a grouse, so the double would not be a handicap. But 12 gauge doubles are usually built on larger frames than twenty gauge doubles, and are therefore not as fast-handling. I would go with the 20 gauge pump in improveed cylinder bore.

Comment

In Alaska, the best gun was my Ruger Mark II 22 pistol.

Comment

When I grouse hunt I choose the lightest shotgun. Lots of hills where I go. I also consider the choke. I hunt in heavy cover so I like a wide pattern.

Comment

For hunting thick forest cover I actually prefer a light weight single shot .410 for grouse....either it's because thats what I grew up using, or because it swings fast in the thick stuff..but do better with it than my 12 or 20 gauges...never have any kill problems using 3 inch 6 shot.......

Comment

I'd shoot a 20 based on the weight, but it's all preference.

Comment

A lot depends on what you mean by grouse. If it's sharptails on the prairie and you're hunting with a pointing dog, a 20 gauge would work early in the season but you'd have to switch to a 12 gauge after first week or so because the birds won't sit long enough for you to get up on them. I'd definitely go with a light auto 12 guage rather than a double. I have a bit more trouble sighting on fast shots with a double barrel as opposed to an over/under. And a good light auto will give you the same sighting plane and fast shooting capability as an O/U but but usually at a lot cheaper price. Go with a 2.75" 12 gauge auto and choke tubes. I'd pick a 26" barrel. You can adjust to cheaper, lighter loads and wide open choke for close, fast shooting (i.e. for huns and ruffed grouse)or heavier loads and a tighter choke for tougher birds/shots (e.g. pheasants, sharpies, or ducks).

Comment

a remmington or browning 20ga a bennellii aint worth the money

Comment

I would go with whichever you are more comfortable walking and carrying. I prefer the action of my old pump but my dad had a double 20 I used to love for duck hunting when I was getting started. Its all personal preference. Either will work well! I use high brass #6 3 inch if your gun takes them.

Comment

What? Three inch magnums for grouse? Oh, you must be talking 20 guage. Okay. Yep, those in #6 shot should be good enough.

Comment

I have a sxs 12 gauge and it works wonderfully in the late season when the grouse start flushing farther away from you...but I found out the hard way that it has maybe too much power in the early season when grouse flush like 5-10 yards from you, and that's when you should use the 20 gauge

Comment

probley the 20.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                The stupidity of some people, and I will not embarrass them by name, only a given quote.......”.biden never withheld money from Ukraine” is almost...
                                Today, 04:14 PM
                              • Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by labrador12
                                Weird! Wyoming Republicans didn't vote for a pretend Republican that hangs out with the anti-American, anti-oil and gas, anti-cow, anti-farm and ranch...
                                08-16-2022, 11:20 PM
                              • Reply to Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by labrador12
                                Before Hunter's laptop from hell was exposed the media and you got away with that crap. After the laptop, with the pictures, and the emails it doesn't...
                                Today, 03:27 PM
                              • Reply to Posting to blogs
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Thanks. That looks impressive! I finally joined a range so I could zero the old Springfield out to 300 meters. Bought new dies and brought the bullets...
                                Today, 03:21 PM
                              • Posting to blogs
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Haven't been around for a while. Is it no longer possible to post comments to editor blogs?
                                08-03-2022, 06:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X