Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you go with for grouse hunting..a 20 gauge pump action or a 12 gauge dbl barrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Scott
    replied
    I agree with most people on here that the biggest factor is whatever one you shoot the best & like carrying the most.

I do use a 12 gauge O/U Browning Citori with a 24 inch barrel though, and I love the versatility that you can have with shot size, chokes, etc. I typically go with a more open choke & a size 8 shell for my first barrel and then a 6 or 7 with a bit tighter choke for the 2nd.

The Upland Hunter has a great article on this if you are interested. I completely agree that the debate about proper gauges is kind of a mute point if the gun doesn't fit you right.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    The one you feel like humping throught the woods combined with the one you shoot best! Plus shoot the load you intend to use at a target to see which load is best for you. I bring extra chokes with me to make changes as needed in the field if I'm under/over choked and missing!

Leave a comment:

• bat4bab
    replied
    410 Anything more is overkill.

Leave a comment:

• hunterdave5
    replied
    20ga. #6 or 7 1/2 will work just fine

Leave a comment:

• huntingkid95
    replied
    They both would work. Use whatever fits you best. But a 20 gauge works better in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Double barrels are great for grouse because you can set up with two different chokes - open for close shots and a step tighter for longer/second shots. 20 gauge is about perfect for grouse but a 12 gauge, especially with 1 or 1-1/8 ounce loads, is just fine.

To simulate a more open choke for the first shot in a pump you can handload some spreader loads. Follow up with a normal load for longer shots. Ballistic Products has speader inserts/wads and over shot cards. Or you can load with wads that don't have cups. Be sure to pattern first - some guns/chokes might leave unacceptable holes in the patterns with the inserts.

Leave a comment:

• codyboyd
    replied
    20 ga is just the gun for grouse

Leave a comment:

• rserwe44
    replied
    The 20 will have enough take down power, and you wont have to worry about ur shoulder being blown off from the recoil.

Leave a comment:

• rserwe44
    replied
    The 20 will have enough take down power, and you wont have to worry about ur shoulder being blown off from the recoil.

Leave a comment:

• mihunter
    replied
    i still use my first gun, a remingtion 870 youth pump in 20 ga. its light and compact for getting through the brush, but i also use an old double barrel 20 ga. what ever is light and compact should work great for you.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Double with IC chokes and 7 1/2 shot. Unless the pump points better for you. Doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• bamaoutdoorsman93
    replied
    probley the 20.

Leave a comment:

• tony167n
    replied
    I have a sxs 12 gauge and it works wonderfully in the late season when the grouse start flushing farther away from you...but I found out the hard way that it has maybe too much power in the early season when grouse flush like 5-10 yards from you, and that's when you should use the 20 gauge

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    What? Three inch magnums for grouse? Oh, you must be talking 20 guage. Okay. Yep, those in #6 shot should be good enough.

Leave a comment:

• jestr1
    replied
    I would go with whichever you are more comfortable walking and carrying. I prefer the action of my old pump but my dad had a double 20 I used to love for duck hunting when I was getting started. Its all personal preference. Either will work well! I use high brass #6 3 inch if your gun takes them.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Liz Cheney loses big!
    by labrador12
    Before Hunter's laptop from hell was exposed the media and you got away with that crap. After the laptop, with the pictures, and the emails it doesn't...
    Today, 03:27 PM
  • Liz Cheney loses big!
    by labrador12
    Weird! Wyoming Republicans didn't vote for a pretend Republican that hangs out with the anti-American, anti-oil and gas, anti-cow, anti-farm and ranch...
    08-16-2022, 11:20 PM
  • Reply to Posting to blogs
    by Ontario Honker Hunter
    Thanks. That looks impressive! I finally joined a range so I could zero the old Springfield out to 300 meters. Bought new dies and brought the bullets...
    Today, 03:21 PM
  • Posting to blogs
    by Ontario Honker Hunter
    Haven't been around for a while. Is it no longer possible to post comments to editor blogs?
    08-03-2022, 06:24 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; Feelin’ It
    by PigHunter
    "Do You Feel Like I Do" by Peter Frampton

Today, 03:13 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X