Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does any one here bowhunt woodchucks? i think its a great way to practice for archery deer season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does any one here bowhunt woodchucks? i think its a great way to practice for archery deer season

does any one here bowhunt woodchucks? i think its a great way to practice for archery deer season

I've killed many a woodchuck in my day. It's a blast and I agree, great practice.

I have taken up a new sport last year. I don't know if it's legal but I have become addicted to it. I take my 35# recurve and a quiver full of blunt rubber tips into my woods and sneak up on deer and shoot them. The arrows fall harmlessly to the ground and the deer is unharmed. It's just the ticket to hone your woodsmanship skills. Deer are a lot easier to sneak up onto in the summer and it's also a good way to keep up with your buck inventory. By the time archery season comes around I'm on a first named basis with all the deer.

Comment

No, but it sounds like it can't hurt but to help you.

Comment

I've shot woodchucks with my bow and have only one issue. Their too big to use judo pts on so broadheads are the order of the day and even with a solid hit the arrow will sometimes bury deep into the grass behind the animal. I personally hate leaving a broadhead out in a farmers field especially with all the heads being stainless steel and virtually impervious to rust and decay. That means another trip back with a metal detector and that can get to be time consuming. The large woodchucks that we have make holes that a horse or cow can break a leg in instantly, so it's certainly not difficult to get permission to hunt here with either the bow or rimfires. Some land owners balk at centerfire rifles.

Comment

I have never tried it, but it sounds like a lot of fun!! I imagint that it would be great practice also.

Comment

I like to do it next season!!!

Comment

I shoot woodchucks with field points, sometimes it "pins" them to the ground. Many times the arrow is ruined. You develope good stalking techniques.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad