Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a beagle with a good nose but is a bit gun shy, should we take her bird hunting to help with that problem or what. I NEED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a beagle with a good nose but is a bit gun shy, should we take her bird hunting to help with that problem or what. I NEED

I have a beagle with a good nose but is a bit gun shy, should we take her bird hunting to help with that problem or what. I NEED HELP

the way I trained my dogs is to take them out to a field and shoot a 22 pistol then give them a treat or do something your pup likes. Make them excited. Your goal is to let the dog enjoy the time outside, that there just happens to be a gun going off nearby. We sometimes might start with the dog 200 yrds away at the begining. By the end of training, my lab knew that he should watch the sky after that loud sound because his favorite treat was coming down. The worst thing you can do to a gun shy dog is put it near the gun. Soon everytime it sees the gun it will hide.

Comment

Good point above. Some people start with a cap gun and slowly move up to .22, 20 ga. etc..... Probably don't want the dog right next to you when your start like he stated above, but slowly work them into it.

Comment

When we started with our pup, we started by clapping when he was eating dinner. Then we went to clapping two 2x4's together when he was eating. Then we started using a cap gun, and giving him treats. The most important thing to remember is to start slow and make sure he is haveing fun when your making noises.

Comment

Use the cap gun when the dog is hungry and eating in his kennel. Work your way up.

Comment

i havn't tried this but, i heard that you can start at home when they are eating and make noise little by little not to scare it. also when outside have another person shoot the gun while you distract it by play or treats until the last 75 to 100 yards

Comment

Great answer pumakitchen! I've used this same method with absolutely excellent results. Remember to start out with a pretty small clap of the hands.

Comment

Agreed with pumakitchen answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad