Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000345.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	783246 Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000347.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	783247 Click image for larger version  Name:	22-250.JPG Views:	0 Size:	896.1 KB ID:	783233 Click image for larger version  Name:	50 cal ML.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	783232 Got my brass ready to start loading. I use the small SS rods in my tumbler to clean. Add hot water, a little Dawn and some Lemon Shine. Takes about an hour. Does a decent job on the primer pockets.
    Next is the Sierra 52gr, BTHP Match bullets. My only load for the .22-250 is IMR 4320 - I am not listing the volume. I got the load from Ground Hog hunters who shoot thousands a year and have experimented with other powders over the years. IMR 4320 works best for me.
    The rifle is my Remington 700 LH heavy barrel with a Burris 6X24 scope. Target is 5 rounds. I can get them to about 400 to 500 yds if the field growtn is not too tall and I can see them. Shooting off the truck with mySako. The Remington 700 actually shoots better so I sold the Sako. Bob is shooting a 6mm and a 8X leuopold in a Ruger 77 with a Douglas barrel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0901.JPG Views:	0 Size:	887.3 KB ID:	783234 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0903.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	783235
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-19-2021, 04:44 AM.

Nice rig Jim, nice group as well. What velocity are you getting with that load. The only problem I see is you have your bolt on the wrong side ! Lol just kidding , that a nice looking rifle !

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
      Nice rig Jim, nice group as well. What velocity are you getting with that load. The only problem I see is you have your bolt on the wrong side ! Lol just kidding , that a nice looking rifle !
      I don't want to mention load and velocity as I am breaking one of my own rules and loading outside normal range. The rifle handles it but I would not try it in any other rifle.

Comment

That’s fair , your only breaking the rules if the pressure signs are showing and I sure your paying attention.

Comment

At what range were you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
            100yds....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_17094.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	783249
              Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
              This is one place we shoot. I sold the Sako for the Remington.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IM000345.JPG Views:	14 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	783246 Click image for larger version  Name:	IM000347.JPG Views:	13 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	783247 Click image for larger version Name:	22-250.JPG Views:	0 Size:	896.1 KB ID:	783233 Click image for larger version Name:	50 cal ML.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	783232 Got my brass ready to start loading. I use the small SS rods in my tumbler to clean. Add hot water, a little Dawn and some Lemon Shine. Takes about an hour. Does a decent job on the primer pockets.
                Next is the Sierra 52gr, BTHP Match bullets. My only load for the .22-250 is IMR 4320 - I am not listing the volume. I got the load from Ground Hog hunters who shoot thousands a year and have experimented with other powders over the years. IMR 4320 works best for me.
                The rifle is my Remington 700 LH heavy barrel with a Burris 6X24 scope. Target is 5 rounds. I can get them to about 400 to 500 yds if the field growtn is not too tall and I can see them. Shooting off the truck with mySako. The Remington 700 actually shoots better so I sold the Sako. Bob is shooting a 6mm and a 8X leuopold in a Ruger 77 with a Douglas barrel.
                Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0901.JPG Views:	0 Size:	887.3 KB ID:	783234 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0903.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	783235
                jimbo,

The top photo is a righthanded*, wood stock rifle on a pickup.
                The photo above the target is a left handed, synthetic stock rifle on a bench.

Which is which?

* - or the photo is reversed

Comment

Looks like fun jimbo. I've been using the Hornady 55g Vmax in the 22-250 with Varget. That load will shoot but it depends on how good the barrel is. The 55g Nosler B-Tip (not the Varmagedin) is also great if you want to pay more.

My understanding is that IMR 4320 has been discontinued. I prefer Varget anyway because of its temperature insensitivity. I often start a p-dog shoot at 70 degrees in early morning and by noon it's 95 degrees. My impact point changes by about 6 inches at 600 yards with a temperature sensitive powder.

I've gotten to the point where I only tumble my brass in the steel for 20 minutes or so. I've noticed that if I run them longer, the front of the necks get damaged to the point where I have to chamfer them all over again.

Comment

From DakotaMan- " I've been using the Hornady 55g Vmax in the 22-250 with Varget. That load will shoot but it depends on how good the barrel is....."

Ditto on the Varget and 55gr. Vmax. I think the 55gr. NBTs are just as accurate as the Vmax bullets, but right now, I will take anything I can get, and can't get anything!

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                      Looks like fun jimbo. I've been using the Hornady 55g Vmax in the 22-250 with Varget. That load will shoot but it depends on how good the barrel is. The 55g Nosler B-Tip (not the Varmagedin) is also great if you want to pay more.

My understanding is that IMR 4320 has been discontinued. I prefer Varget anyway because of its temperature insensitivity. I often start a p-dog shoot at 70 degrees in early morning and by noon it's 95 degrees. My impact point changes by about 6 inches at 600 yards with a temperature sensitive powder.

I've gotten to the point where I only tumble my brass in the steel for 20 minutes or so. I've noticed that if I run them longer, the front of the necks get damaged to the point where I have to chamfer them all over again.
                      My load and rig shoot beyond my expectations so I doubt I will change anything. I can just about keep up with my hunting buddy (in Pic.) with his 6mm. We get over 500 ground hogs a year, sometimes a 1,000. My barrel is about 1500 rounds so far so I have a way to go.

I like the little SS rods, never had a problem with case mouth edges. Are you doing this in water and soap ?
                      BTW, I was thinking of making up some loads with some of the rods in them. That should do a heck of a cleaning job on the barrel. Of course reduced powder charge under cotton. Oatmeal might be another load to try.
                      Years ago I bought a set of bulllets from Gander Mtn, I think. It had undersize a few .001 bullets and three different grit paste compound. A glass slide included to roll the bullets to coat them - load and fire. I have never tried them as the snake does a real good job for me. I took great pains to lap the barrel of my Remington 700 so I can get 30 or 40 + rounds before I run a swab through.
                      The right hand Sako in the pic. is also a 22-250. I sold it as the Remington 700 shoots circles around the Sako. I could buy 2 Remingtons for the price of a Sako.
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-19-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Yup... warm water, Dawn and Lemmy Shine. Just like you. Does a great job. It's not the cartridge that delivers precision; although some do a better job than others. It's a combination of the cartridge, the bullets, the bedding and the shooter. For max precision, the trigger helps too. The 22-250 is one of those that delivers. Its velocity also eliminates some of the interference of wind and weather too. A fine cartridge indeed. It is excellent for fox, coyote and antelope hunting where the velocity makes the average running shot much more predictable because of the small lead.

Comment

I started yars ago with the .225 Winchester that also shot excellent. I had the savage 340 rifle with a big ass Weaver scope.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad