Handgun,
    Archery,
    Trap,
    Shotgun,
    Air rifle
    Sling shot,
    Poison
    Other

We should get silencers on our groundhog rigs - take a shot and you don't see another for several minutes.

Comment

Remington 870 12 gauge - pheasants, Turkeys and Waterfowl .

Savage bolt action 22lr - Squirrels

Mossberg 500 20 gauge - Grouse , rabbits, snowshoe hare and squirrels.

Comment

Rabbits, squirrel, turkey, coyote, prairie dogs, and the like-HANDGUNS of all types (What a surprise)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	603.3 KB
ID:	781950 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	781951 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	582.8 KB
ID:	781952 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	781953 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1948.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	856.2 KB
ID:	781954 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2435.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	781955

Comment

I have used a shotgun for all things that move from rabbits and squirrels to foxes and coyotes with tons of pheasants, ducks and geese in between.

Unlike most, I have used rifles for everything from gophers and blackbirds, squirrels, rabbits, prairie dogs, fur bearing critters as well as big game most of my life. The vast majority of my shooting has been with a 25-06 with frangible bullets where a near miss kills small game instantly. With larger VLD bullets, it is able to reach out there a long ways. Nowadays, I do a lot of target shooting out to 1000 yards or so to practice on my precision.

I enjoy shooting pistols but have rarely used them for hunting.

Comment

20-gauge Mossberg pump for all small game and turkey, trading out choke tubes from hunt to hunt. IC most of the time for birds and rabbits -- modified for squirrels, though it's been a while since I've gone for them. For turkeys, the full choke and basic high-brass #5s, shoots a good lethal turkey pattern at 30-35 yards.

I don't hunt varmints. Somewhere in the family is a .22-250, though, that I don't believe anyone's using anymore. I've always thought it'd be cool to get camo-ed up and call coyotes and foxes ... went so far as to buy a rabbit squealer years ago. Probably if I ever decided to, I'd see who has that .22-250 and borrow it from them.

I've always been pretty much no-frills, partly due to economic necessity years ago, less so now, but still more interested in nature and nostalgia than the finer points of guns and shooting. I do read with interest you guys's threads about rifles and shooting, though. One of these days I might buy a deer rifle and really starting picking the collective brain on here.

Comment

Hey, Jimbo: I saw your PM. No, unfortunately, I have not visited up there in a while; had some plans earlier this summer but the weather never really cooperated when the days off were at hand. I don't know what's up with the sign on the store. That place has changed a good bit, the past few years. Still a great store, but more touristy, less real gear and tools. And the prices! Whoa. With everything going up anyway, I can't imagine what they're charging for things.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  Hey, Jimbo: I saw your PM. No, unfortunately, I have not visited up there in a while; had some plans earlier this summer but the weather never really cooperated when the days off were at hand. I don't know what's up with the sign on the store. That place has changed a good bit, the past few years. Still a great store, but more touristy, less real gear and tools. And the prices! Whoa. With everything going up anyway, I can't imagine what they're charging for things.
                  My BIL and Niece are there now for a week. Sent this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Forge 2021.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	782108

Comment

Sometimes I pick up a rifle for a project. Work on it to get the way I think it should be. Right scope, correct sights, blemish, minor wood work, things like that.

Then I shoot it and get it shooting good then usually send it down the road for a little monetary reward and satisfaction. I have had well over 100 rifles and a few pistols in my time and only keep a small fraction of them. I do enjoy reloading and load for close to 20 calibers.

Comment

I use a variety of rifles and a couple handguns.
                      Whitetail in Ohio I use my Marlin .450Marlin.
                      New York for deer my /Remington 700 30-06 this year (varies every year from about 5 rifles)
                      Michigan .300WbyMag Weatherby Mk V
                      New York If we are going s[ecifically after a bear my .300Weatherby.
                      Squirrels I use my Browning Challenger .22lr
                      Groundhogs my Remington 700 22-250
                      Varmints my Savage B Mag in .17WSM (Winchester Super Mag)
                      Shotguns - clays
                      Bowling pins .40Glock, 9mm Remington R-51, or .22lr Browning Challenger
                      Elk (pending) .340Wby Weatherby Mk V
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-04-2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I'm a shot gunner, by nature, for small game.
                        Except for frogs. Those are .22 or by hand.

Comment

When I was kid I shot one squirrel with a shotgun - that was it. Ruined the squirrel and would break intestines and release contents into meat. Always used a .22 rifle after that and then when I got pistols I started using it. Always try for a head shot. My squirrel hunting area is 90% flat and I get them on the ground. If I shoot in a tree I am 5 to 8 miles from the nearest towns.
                          When I used a rifle, 7 shots and I got 6 squirrels. With the pistol, 8 or 9 shots and I got 6 squirrels. My drive to my spot was longer than the time it took to get my limits. Big, fat greys, only ones I shoot. Mostly turned into stew.
                          The Challenger I bought new in 1965 (for $69.95 now I would not sell for $750.00) and also shot on a pistol team in College. Shooting swqirrels with it kept me in practice. I figure I average about 500 rds a year( a brick a year Click image for larger version  Name:	outdoor life 2 008.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	782125 when shooting competition) - at 56 years I figure about 30,000 to 40,000 rounds fired. Almost always use Remington Std Vel., or Rem Target Loads in competition. I have shot a 298 score with this pistol.
                          Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-05-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad