Prairie dog shoot (trigger catharsis) planned for tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prairie dog shoot (trigger catharsis) planned for tomorrow

I put this here, since there is not a varminting section.
    Glenn and I plan to do some doggin tomorrow, if our schedules don't fall apart.

I am going to take my 20 BR XP-100 and my 223 Remington HSP.

Both specialty pistols have 15" barrels.
    The 20 BR has a 8T McGowen, and the HSP has a 7-T H-S Precision barrel, since H-S made the complete pistol.

55 grain Berger for the 20 cal and the 77 TMK for the 223.

I really want to take a dog over a grand with this 223 Remington specialty pistol.

Conditions will play a big part.

Glenn will be shooting his 22 Creed XP-100 with 88 grain ELD-M's

Now that sounds like fun! I hope the conditions are indeed right for the long shot attempt.

Comment

Thanks. I am not driven to attain it. I know I can do it in the right conditions.
      Just one of those things I want to be able to check off my "to do" list
      I will spend more time spotting for Glenn, and let him attain some personal bests for distance and spotting scope views of "pink mist" as that 22 Creed is going to be impressive under 400 yards

Comment

We had a late start as I had a ministry "ox in the ditch," but once we got going, it turned in to a wonderful day.

No 1K+ dogs, as my longest kill of the day was under 800 yards.

Mirage was high, and then the winds picked up.

Glenn will sometimes get a sour stomach from long-term glassing, and solves that issue with Dramamine....but he forgot to bring it. We were in an area where shots beyond 750 yards are not possible, because of terrain. He wanted me to kill some dogs with his 22 Creed. Oh, did I have some fun-It is kind of nice to shoot other folks guns. Since he was sick at his stomach, I cleaned up that area pretty good to just under 700 yards. After another unexpected "visit," we moved to another area.

I wanted to look at a fairly narrow shooting area on each side of the two-track, that doesn't get hit to hard. Since his stomach wasn't quite back to normal, I pulled out the 223 Remington HSP with distances primarily at 350ish yards and under the slaughter began. I took out 30+ dogs, and most were one and done. Glenn started feeling better, and we moved further east and topped a rise and then he went to work with his 22 Creed XP-100. He got on a roll too. There were some great aerobatics and red mist moments. Spotting is a lot of fun. At this spot we took dogs out to just beyond 500 yards. Glenn did most of the shooting. We had a small rain storm come through, and got in the truck and waited it out. Then we went to the last area, with Glenn shooting again. The wind had picked up even more, so most shots were under 400 yards. Glenn had enough time on glass after awhile, and I shot up the remaining rounds he had, and then I pulled out the 223 HSP again, and shot until the area was devoid of dogs coming out. With wind pick up in speed combined, plus it gusting my kill percentage went down some, but most shots in the 250ish and under were one and done. We both had a great time. We didn't take pictures of the specialty pistols, but I did video a couple of his close kills. I will show you some pictures of both SP's later.

Comment

Good day then! Thanks for the after-action report.

Are you a member of the clergy?

Comment

That's a bunch-o'-shootin' Ernie! LOL!
            Sounds like a real "blast"!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Good day then! Thanks for the after-action report.

Are you a member of the clergy?
              Yes, since the early 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                That's a bunch-o'-shootin' Ernie! LOL!
                Sounds like a real "blast"!
                Literally and figuratively for sure.

Comment

Let me add, the 77 grain Sierra Tipped MatchKing does great on pd's, even when starting from a 15" barrel at 2675 feet per second.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Yes, since the early 80's.
                    Nice! I've been a Sunday School teacher and have done a little preaching at homeless shelters. Have even done a grave-side service. But never paid and never considered clergy. Best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Nice! I've been a Sunday School teacher and have done a little preaching at homeless shelters. Have even done a grave-side service. But never paid and never considered clergy. Best wishes!
                      Serving the Lord and others is what is important.
                      Good for you!
                      Having a title, means nothing to the Lord, but our heart which drives of our actions, is incredibly important.

Comment

I never pulled my 20 BR XP out of the case yesterday.
                        Forgot to mention that Glenn's 22 Creedmoor XP-100 with the 88 grain ELD-M's has a MV of 2994 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                          I never pulled my 20 BR XP out of the case yesterday.
                          Forgot to mention that Glenn's 22 Creedmoor XP-100 with the 88 grain ELD-M's has a MV of 2994 fps.
                          Those 88's have a pretty good ballistic coefficient

Click image for larger version

Name:	224 ELD-M.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	778777

Comment

The Old A-Max and the new ELD-M's have high BC's and do a better job on tissue than a non-tipped VLD's.
                            It was an intentional bullet choice for Glenn.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad