• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you using for small game?

Comment

Moving spam

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
        To much time in my tree stand last year. I intend to chase Grouse, pheasants and rabbits in October.

I also have an open invitation to chase hares in the northern Adirondacks. I hope I can make it happen this year after deer season.
        Take your snowshoes.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Take your snowshoes.
          I'm planning on it. My family lives up near Saint Regis falls area .

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

I'm planning on it. My family lives up near Saint Regis falls area .
            I had cousins in Malone, got there going through Camp Drum.
            I hunt with a guy who hunts rabbits with a 10/22.
            The Moose tracking articles show a concentration of them in the north east part of the park.

Comment

I use a 20 gauge .

Comment

When still in school, used to do a lot of bunny hunting, but I’ll be darned if I can remember how my mom fixed them. Squirrels are very good eating. I quarter them, boil for about 30 minutes, then dip in flour and brown them in frying pan. Only thing I hate is the skinning. Skinned when they are still warm is much easier than later, but still a job, but then maybe I am not doing it correctly ! Give them a try, delicious !!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  When still in school, used to do a lot of bunny hunting, but I’ll be darned if I can remember how my mom fixed them. Squirrels are very good eating. I quarter them, boil for about 30 minutes, then dip in flour and brown them in frying pan. Only thing I hate is the skinning. Skinned when they are still warm is much easier than later, but still a job, but then maybe I am not doing it correctly ! Give them a try, delicious !!
                  I cut my "hunting teeth" shooting "tree rats". I've eaten a ton (more or less! LOL!) of them.
                  Fried, stewed, with dumplings and even grilled.
                  I don't hunt them anymore. I've just lost my taste for them. In a "hunger" situation, I would not hesitate to resume eating squirrel.

Bhr, cut them up as you wish.
                  Dredge in flour and fry until lightly browned.
                  Remove the squirrel and set aside.
                  Make gravy with the drippings.

I use those little disposable "loaf pans" you find at WalMart and other discount stores but any small, covered, oven safe dish will work.

Dice up some onion, a potato and a clove of garlic and place in the bottom of the pan.
                  Place the browned squirrel on top of the veggies and cover with the gravy. If you don't have enough gravy, add milk until the squirrel is submerged.
                  ...and of course, salt and pepper to taste.

Cover tightly with foil (or lid), place in the oven at 250°F for one hour.
                  The squirrel will be chicken tender. Spread the gravy, potato and onion over hot buttered biscuits!
                  Yummm......!!!
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-23-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I cut my "hunting teeth" shooting "tree rats". I've eaten a ton (more or less! LOL!) of them.
                    Fried, stewed, with dumplings and even grilled.
                    I don't hunt them anymore. I've just lost my taste for them. In a "hunger" situation, I would not hesitate to resume eating squirrel.

Bhr, cut them up as you wish.
                    Dredge in flour and fry until lightly browned.
                    Remove the squirrel and set aside.
                    Make gravy with the drippings.

I use those little disposable "loaf pans" you find at WalMart and other discount stores but any small, covered, oven safe dish will work.

Dice up some onion, a potato and a clove of garlic and place in the bottom of the pan.
                    Place the browned squirrel on top of the veggies and cover with the gravy. If you don't have enough gravy, add milk until the squirrel is submerged.
                    ...and of course, salt and pepper to taste.

Cover tightly with foil (or lid), place in the oven at 250°F for one hour.
                    The squirrel will be chicken tender. Spread the gravy, potato and onion over hot buttered biscuits!
                    Yummm......!!!
                    Sounds delicious, call me when supper’s ready !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• What's after Trump?
                      by FirstBubba
                      No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                      There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                      Today, 01:46 PM
                    • Reply to Election less than a month away
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      .....”biden won’t be the ruination of America......” !

This as stated by the 🐀 ! It is not biden we fear, it’s the ef’d up...
                      Today, 12:59 PM
                    • Election less than a month away
                      by rock rat
                      Like the Covid coming back to haunt him isn't ironic. Wonder when Trump last tested negative for the virus? and why everyone is mum about when that is?...
                      10-08-2020, 08:55 AM
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      That is mostly what we get with diversity, people who do not really understand the American spirit, loyalty and what we truly love this country for !!...
                      Today, 12:48 PM
                      by rock rat
                      Trump just posted his own video of the 60 minutes interview. The vid is fairly honest so far in that it's not cut or spliced, I only watched 5+ minutes,...
                      Today, 11:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X