• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbits

Does anyone hunt rabbits or squirrels?
    I can't bring myself to eat squirrels.

moving spam

Yes. I eat them as well. We all have our tastes. I've seen tall platters of beaver & raccoons at game dinners so I've tried them, 🤢 yuck, yet somebody eats them I've had some doves that were nasty AND chewy.
    Last edited by dewman; 09-09-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I hunt squirrels but don't eat them. Instead, I throw the carcasses in the woods for our local pair of foxes. They've never thanked me though.

Perhaps this year I'll start skinning them and try a few recipes.
      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

We don't have enough squirrels at the farm to hunt, they're almost a novelty. Here in town, I'm crowdedout of my yard. Can't chootem, laws and all, even if Mepps promises .25. Sumptin to consider if you need a reason to shoot.

Comment

Fried rabbit was a staple Christmas dish at my Grandparents years ago, I can’t remember the last time I had any. There’s one living in a cage in my daughters room, he gets to run around the house daily. My daughter is quite convinced she’s going to kill a deer this year but she has a thing for bunnies. Not sure I’d want to go there.

I’m desperately trying to finish some house projects before October, squirrel season is open and I’d like to get the kids out but not on our place. No idea how summer got away under lockdown.

Comment

Squirrel, rabbit and Pheasant were all regulars on the dinner menu. Rabbit and squirrel were mostly in a stew. We stopped hunting rabbit when they got the liver disease.

I feed the rabbits around my camp. Made several shelters they can get under to protect from the hawks. The population is doing good. Also good population of squirrels but I don't take very many, only what I use myself. Deer are the biggest number of hunted game, sometimes 20 or more taken in a season.

Comment

To much time in my tree stand last year. I intend to chase Grouse, pheasants and rabbits in October.

I also have an open invitation to chase hares in the northern Adirondacks. I hope I can make it happen this year after deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Squirrel, rabbit and Pheasant were all regulars on the dinner menu. Rabbit and squirrel were mostly in a stew. We stopped hunting rabbit when they got the liver disease.

I feed the rabbits around my camp. Made several shelters they can get under to protect from the hawks. The population is doing good. Also good population of squirrels but I don't take very many, only what I use myself. Deer are the biggest number of hunted game, sometimes 20 or more taken in a season.
                https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunti...aremia-rabbit-
                fever/

Is this the disease your talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  Yes. I eat them as well. We all have our tastes. I've seen tall platters of beaver & raccoons at game dinners so I've tried them, 🤢 yuck, yet somebody eats them I've had some doves that were nasty AND chewy.
                  I'll give squirrel a try at the next game dinner.

Comment

I REALLY like them. Cut up and fried or in a crockpot till I can scrape the meat off the bones. I used to eat a lot of them with biscuits and gravy but got burned out on it. Now they're like chicken or pork is to some, just something we eat couple times a week. Sometimes people ask if we are tired of them but to us it's like asking if we are tired of chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                      To much time in my tree stand last year. I intend to chase Grouse, pheasants and rabbits in October.

I also have an open invitation to chase hares in the northern Adirondacks. I hope I can make it happen this year after deer season.
                      I have taken snowshoes in both Michigan and Colorado. I didn't care for them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunti...aremia-rabbit-
                        fever/

Is this the disease your talking about?
                        Tularemia - spots on the liver.

Comment

I have an alfredo recipe I use for rabbit/hares. Cut as much meat off as I can, pound thin, coat with italian panko bread crumbs, fry in olive oil. Make an alfredo sauce with heavy cream, butter, garlic and equal parts parmesan and romano cheeses. Serve with some linguine. Nice fall dish!

Comment

I grew up eating rabbits and squirrels. They were the mainstay of my hunting life along with pheasants and quail during the first 20 years of my life. The squirrels seemed to develop my stalking and shooting precision while the rabbits taught me to get on target FAST and make one good shot with my shotgun. Rabbits in the woods were always more challenging to hit than pheasants or quail because they seem to accelerate fast and be out of site in a second or two.I enjoy the meat from both and our crock pot was full of them almost every day growing up.

Comment

I'm going to use a 20 gauge 500 for hare.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad