Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my brother bought a pellet gun that shots 800 feet per second do u guys think it can kill a rabbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats fine just make sure you have a good shot

Comment

yes it definitely will. make sure u get clode to ensure a good shot.

Comment

oh and make sure u use pellets ment for hunting. youll get better penetration therefore getting a qicker killl

Comment

Heck ya, it will kill it no problem.

Comment

I've never had a pellet gun, but my neighbors kid could shoot just about anything that he aimed at with his Crosman. I think that he had to pump this thing up a number of times(10?) to do the deed,but he was accurate and humane on rabbits and grouse. I believe that he said that his velocity with a pellet was around 750 fps.

Comment

800 fps is fast for a .22 caliber pellet gun, but at the low end for .177 caliber "high powered pellet guns". That being said, I own a .177 cal pellet gun that shoots at around 850 fps and I've found that it kills any bird smaller than a pigeon, chipmunk, rat and smaller rodent very easily. With anything larger, it's essential to place the shots very carefully for a humane kill. I recently purchased a .22 cal pellet gun that shoots at 800 fps. On my first outing I made the mistake of shooting a treed raccoon with it thinking it would be an easy kill. The raccoon was clearly badly injured but it climbed much higher into the tree. I was now obligated to finish it, and ended up shooting it multiple times before it finally died. It was a slow, and painful death for the animal, and a very unpleasant experience for myself. I had the wrong ammo. I should have been using hollow points, not the pointed pellets that I had with me. Pointed pellets get way too much penetration and can pass cleanly through the target without expending all of their kinetic energy. Use hollow points for maximum effect and humane kills. A .177 cal pellet gun with hollow points should allow you to humanely take rabbits if you can place head shots.

Comment

Yes it would. As for the poster that suggested killing one with a red rider, I'd call that plain cruel. There's a difference between a kill and a clean kill.

Comment

yeah, just use good ammo

Comment

Yes they do!

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad