Clear All

• Shot a fox from the truck

With my iPhone, lol.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6FCF0F86-B7BE-4A5B-A6A6-86043D91CE03.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	733150

In my 60+ years of hunting, I've "never" seen a fox in the wild.

A water plant in Fort Worth sat right off the Trinity river. The control center set off by itself under some big pecan trees. We were always seeing possums, coons and feral cats.
    Midnight I stepped out the back door of the office and tossed my meal scraps out to the animals and a cold chill ran up my spine!
    There was a grey fox belly down in the leaves watching me!
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-15-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      In my 60+ years of hunting, I've "never" seen a fox in the wild.

A water plant in Fort Worth sat right off the Trinity river. The control center set off by itself under some big pecan trees. We were always seeing possums, coons and feral cats.
      Midnight I stepped out the back door of the office and tossed my meal scraps out to the animals and a cold chill ran up my spine!
      There was a grey fox belly down in the leaves watching me!
      A cold chill? Really? My experience has been that coons are a helluva lot nastier than foxes. And often a helluva lot bigger too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

A cold chill? Really? My experience has been that coons are a helluva lot nastier than foxes. And often a helluva lot bigger too.
        Stumbling into raccoons* was pretty much SOP on night shift.
        Normally, they would simply move out of your way.
        I had seen raccoons several times tossing out scraps.

When I stepped out the door that night, not a creature was visible.
        I flipped the scraps off the paper plate when the chill ran up my spine. That's when I finally spotted the fox staring at me. He (she?) was mostly hidden in the fallen pecan leaves. About the time our eyes met, it scrambled off into the dark.

When I'm turkey (or deer!) hunting, I try NOT to look them in the eye waiting for a shot. I'm not sure they can feel your eyes on them, but I'll never forget the eerie feeling of realizing "something" was watching me.

...AND...more than once, I've had game move off inexplicably.
        Could they tell (feel?) they were being watched?
        I dunno, I didn't get to ask them. LOL!

* - squirrels were our biggest problem. Very little of the plant electrical service was underground. There were like 6 or 8 feeder stations that fed plants on overhead lines.
        The squirrels viewed the overhead lines as their personal highways.
        It wasn't unusual to lose power to some portion of the plant because of squirrels heing/sheing in one of the feeder stations.
        Fried squirrel?

Comment

My younger sisters have been trapping foxes that denned under the floor of one of the barns. They have had a ball catching the pups and then releasing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
            My younger sisters have been trapping foxes that denned under the floor of one of the barns. They have had a ball catching the pups and then releasing them.
            That's cool!
            It's getting common around here for foxes to den near houses, I know a couple folks who've had them under sheds. My guess is the den's are safer near people than out where coyotes might find them.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

That's cool!
              It's getting common around here for foxes to den near houses, I know a couple folks who've had them under sheds. My guess is the den's are safer near people than out where coyotes might find them.
              It is.

I believe that is the case. Most folks just enjoy watching the foxes whereas coyotes would kill then at the first opportunity.

Comment

Nice picture... thanks for posting. These guys are one of my favorites to see; especially when they are trotting over fresh snow with those big, bright, bushy tails. They are an elegant creature to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  With my iPhone, lol.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	6FCF0F86-B7BE-4A5B-A6A6-86043D91CE03.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	733150
                  That’s some good poaching.

Comment

Before I messed up my shoulder, I used to enjoy playing golf. A couple of courses I used to play there'd be fox dens near a green or a rough. I remember one time playing a scramble with my brother and cousins teeing up on a short par 3, dropping it on the green, and a young fox come out and steal our balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

It is.

I believe that is the case. Most folks just enjoy watching the foxes whereas coyotes would kill then at the first opportunity.
                      And the wolves here will kill coyotes or domestic dogs any chance they get. A lot of domestic violence in the dog family. It's a wonder that species was the first humans managed to domesticate.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                        Before I messed up my shoulder, I used to enjoy playing golf. A couple of courses I used to play there'd be fox dens near a green or a rough. I remember one time playing a scramble with my brother and cousins teeing up on a short par 3, dropping it on the green, and a young fox come out and steal our balls.
                        Wasn't it painful?

Comment

Sheds in this area have dirt floors. Pier and beam structures are vermin lures.
                          Skunks, rats, coons, snakes and possums just to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

And the wolves here will kill coyotes or domestic dogs any chance they get. A lot of domestic violence in the dog family. It's a wonder that species was the first humans managed to domesticate.
                            Dog eat dog world.

Actually it could have been some wild k9 that denned near a human's abode to avoid other k9's. Human steals a couple pups but doesn't eat them. The rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Wasn't it painful?
                              One in every crowd, but we were all thinking it.🤡

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Books for Christmas
                                by FirstBubba
                                If anyone is a true outdoors "person", any Peter Hathaway Capstick book is a grand read and anything by Gene Hill is good.
                                I'm sure there...
                                Today, 10:47 PM
                              • Books for Christmas
                                by MattM37
                                If anyone's shopping books for an outdoorsman in your family, I just saw that Amazon has the three old Ben East Outdoor Life adventure books, Survival,...
                                Today, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Omicron
                                by fitch270
                                Nope, Jab privileged. Free to run amok.

Actually my wife is working remotely by choice while the kids are here. She’s trying to find out...
                                Today, 10:38 PM
                              • Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                Name for new African virus. In Greek means 'we're screwed'.
                                11-26-2021, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                What about you and your wife ?...
                                Today, 10:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X