Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey i want to coon hunt what do u think is the best gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey i want to coon hunt what do u think is the best gun?

Hey i want to coon hunt what do u think is the best gun?

In many's opinion, a .17 HMR is very good. The bullet would not travel very far after it came in contact with the coon. Almost any .22 caliber would work too, with much cheaper ammunition. Your choice.

Comment

By the way, when you were posting this did your computer freeze or have troubles?

Comment

t yes it did

Comment

.22 with the subsonic rounds in it. Not as loud as a .17hmr. But both would work, just dont use a shotgun

Comment

yea i am like the guy above i like a .17 HMR

Comment

.22 shorts solid points. open sights. Single shots are great or bolt actions. Both are easy to load and unload between coon. I'd buy an old beater. Remember your gun will take a beating coon hunting.

Comment

We always used an old .22 single shot. Carry it empty, only load after the dogs tree and you spot the coon.

Comment

I forgot. Get a sling for it.

Comment

I agree with Del in KS, that's what my grandpa and I used to use when I was growing up.

Comment

Get yourself a cheapo .22 revolver. Its easier to carry than a rifle and the ammo is cheap.

Comment

22. lr 17. causes too much fur damege in my opinion

Comment

i've never seen any fur damage from a .17 so I really don't know what will is talking about, I've shot probably 15 coons with my .17. If you're hunting with hounds though I would use a .22 lr. The older Stevens semiautos hold up and continue to work no matter how many times they end up in the creek. I love my .17 but I don't want to put it through what my coon hunting rifle goes through.

Comment

BEST RIFLE: 10/22
                            BEST AIR RIFLE: BENJAMIN BLUE STREAK

Comment

go with a .22 best coon hunting gun is a synthetic stock but also look at cricket guns they are small light and easy to tote around

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad