Prairie dog shooting with a Glock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prairie dog shooting with a Glock

Tuesday I did drop confirmations with two different specialty pistols (6.5x47 Lapua Kauger Arms Black Widow, and a Borden clone XP-100 action center-grip 6.5-284. Did drops out to 673 yards. Dan shot is H-S Precision HSP 6.5 Creed. The ammo we had left over we used up on pd's.

Probably my favorite prairie dog kill of the day, came with my beat up Glock model 23 40 S&W.
    I nailed them on the second shot standing off-hand, at 87 yards, and the meat report was unmistakable, and I when I walked up to him he was doing the dead cockroach stance with his belly to the sky.
    Dan ranged me from the vehicle ( I was just to the right of his drivers side door when I shot).
    As I was walking back to the truck I was hollering at him asking how far it was, and he told me 32 yards. I knew it was longer than 32 yards, but he was having fun teasing me.
    I left my phone in the vehicle, so we never got a picture. But I have a witness. I took this picture yesterday morning, so you can see what this ugly handgun looks like.😎
    Someone must have tried to stipple it on their own. I bought this one extremely cheap at a auction...What a surprise. Sure shoots good though!

Nice shot!

Comment

How many of you have killed a varmint with a carry handgun?

Comment

I've shot quite a few varmints with my carry gun over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
          How many of you have killed a varmint with a carry handgun?
          Well, I guess I'll have to be subjective here.
          Most memorable was a 'yote pup at about 125 yards. He was loping across a newly plowed field. I was shooting a S&W M19 6".
          The 5th round caught him square in the neck. Bet he didn't have 6 hairs on his body. He was eat up with mange.
          Next was a crow at about 50 yards with a Ruger Single Six 8" bbl w/mag cylinder in place.
          One shot, one bird.
          I've taken a few turkeys with both the same Ruger and a scoped S&W M48 8 3/8" bbl.
          Snakes, dillers and a wide assortment have fallen to the Ruger.
          I was checking a lease when I spotted a prairie dog probably 30 yards away.
          I stopped and dug my heavy bbl Ruger MkIV out and squeezed off a round. Imagine my surprise when I nailed him right square in the chest. I don't think you could have laid out the spot any better with a dial caliper! LOL!

Comment

During the time we carried a S&W 686 for a duty weapon a farmer called me to look at his deer damage to get a kill permit. As we were driving through the hay field to get to the corn field he saw a groundhog out in the hayfield about 150 yards away. He told me to shoot it. I got out of the vehicle and took a rest on my knee and held about 3 feet over the groundhog and when I fired killed it graveyard dead. I could have shot 10 boxes of shells again and couldn't have done that. The guy told all over the county not to fool with me I and not to try to run from me because you would only die tired. I would never shoot my revolver in front of that guy again.

Comment

Great story...It was your day to look good!

Comment

For a mind blowing pistol shot, I'll take this one!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-co...-crazed-gunman

Comment

I shot a few P-dogs last summer with the old Ruger Single Six I refinished last year. The longest shot was around 75 yards. I'm getting a little shaky for offhand shooting at that range so I rested the pistol on a fence post.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                    I shot a few P-dogs last summer with the old Ruger Single Six I refinished last year. The longest shot was around 75 yards. I'm getting a little shaky for offhand shooting at that range so I rested the pistol on a fence post.

That is nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

125 yards is my best standing offhand pd kill with a friends 44 magnum. On this pd I didn't even use a full cylinder to put him down. It was a good day!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        For a mind blowing pistol shot, I'll take this one!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-co...-crazed-gunman
                        Great story...Good guy wins and the bad guy won't hurt anyone in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Well, I guess I'll have to be subjective here.
                          Most memorable was a 'yote pup at about 125 yards. He was loping across a newly plowed field. I was shooting a S&W M19 6".
                          The 5th round caught him square in the neck. Bet he didn't have 6 hairs on his body. He was eat up with mange.
                          Next was a crow at about 50 yards with a Ruger Single Six 8" bbl w/mag cylinder in place.
                          One shot, one bird.
                          I've taken a few turkeys with both the same Ruger and a scoped S&W M48 8 3/8" bbl.
                          Snakes, dillers and a wide assortment have fallen to the Ruger.
                          I was checking a lease when I spotted a prairie dog probably 30 yards away.
                          I stopped and dug my heavy bbl Ruger MkIV out and squeezed off a round. Imagine my surprise when I nailed him right square in the chest. I don't think you could have laid out the spot any better with a dial caliper! LOL!
                          Sounds like a number of good memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                            I've shot quite a few varmints with my carry gun over the years.
                            Which varmints???

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Which varmints???
                              Mostly coons and possums.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad