Baiting squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baiting squirrels

Can anybody tell me if we can legally bait squirrels here in Michigan, I can't find really any info stating yay or nay online

The sticky point is this. If you put bait anywhere a deer might find it and utilize it, whether you are targeting them or not, you are guilty of baiting deer and will be prosecuted. The DNR isn't going to try to look into your soul at your intentions, they will cite you and you will lose. If deer can't get access to it, including any that fall from squirrel activity, then technically it's not illegal. Don't gamble if you aren't sure the deer won't come around. Squirrels are too easy to get without bait to be worth the risk.

Comment

Here ya go!
      Go to your local feed store and get some "rabbit spools". They are little disc's of salt with a hole in them.
      We used 8d nails and nailed them to trees about as high as you can comfortably reach to drive a nail.
      Deer and cows can't reach them and squirrels love salt!
      It probably won't bring them in in droves, but they will come to it.

Comment

Awesome thanks. Yeah that's what I was kinda worried about was the whole deer situation. Squirrel taste better I think and you can get more shooting in in a year

Comment

I was sitting in a outdoor pub and had some peanuts. A local resident squirrel of a overhanging tree would come down and take a peanut out of my hand and take it back to is nest. One time I held my hand closed. DO NOT DO THAT. The sucker bit me right on the web of my hand trying to get the nut. I also learned squirrel hunting not to presume a squirrel hit by a .22 is instantly dead. Seems they can get a second life just about when you go to pick them up.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-25-2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Here is a thought -

Comment

A buddy of mine here in NC hunts squirrels with dogs and they need to have lots of squirrels around to train the dogs on. So they hang buckets of sunflower seeds about 8-10ft up the side of a tree and the property is full of them.

Comment

Hey Outlaw. Long time no see. Welcome back.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad